Classic Audi » Technical » Car detailing & polishing » Snow Foam - good or bad?

Old 28-02-17, 09:25 PM   #11
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I use it regularly and rate it, just make sure you get one that's wax friendly
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-17, 09:26 PM   #12
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Interesting thread drift, maybe not, but fairy liquid as it turns out is a perfect incecticide, it was analysed in a lab at our college and it had * 14 active ingredients.

* all pesticides have AIs (active ingredients, these are the things that get the job done whether pesticide, herbicide, fungicide, biocide etc.) most have two or three.

And some people eat it every day, by not rinsing their dishes. Works great on dried cowsh*t though!

I wonder if red snowfoam would make a pink audi red again...
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-17, 10:23 PM   #13
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
Interesting thread drift, maybe not, but fairy liquid as it turns out is a perfect incecticide, it was analysed in a lab at our college and it had * 14 active ingredients.

* all pesticides have AIs (active ingredients, these are the things that get the job done whether pesticide, herbicide, fungicide, biocide etc.) most have two or three.

And some people eat it every day, by not rinsing their dishes. Works great on dried cowsh*t though!

I wonder if red snowfoam would make a pink audi red again...
Hmmm.. Interesting... As a further thread drift aside... Is fairy liquid a saline based product, do you happen to know?
Old 28-02-17, 10:38 PM   #14
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

No idea! But a quick google says -

Detergents are soap-like compounds which are used for cleaning purpose. They are sodium salts of long chain alkyl benzene sulphonic acids or sodium salts of long chain alkyl hydrogen sulphate, whereas, soaps are sodium salts of long chain carboxylic acids.

http://www.citycollegiate.com/industry2.htm
Old 28-02-17, 10:55 PM   #15
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Where we have skin, most insects have a waxy cuticle (which stops them drying out) fairy strips this then the dozen AIs get to work on doing some nerve damage and causing general havoc.

Here is Proctor and Gamble's safety data sheet for fairy liquid, products licensed for professional use that fall under COSHH guidelines are generally the same as domestic ones, just less dilute, (like the roundup you can buy in B&Q, it's about 70ppm glyphosate, pro is 450ppm) note the part that says 'if swallowed contact a poison centre'

http://www.bunzlchs.com/medias/sys_m...326/030972.pdf

Same shit, less water in it.

Last edited by missfire; 28-02-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-03-17, 10:06 AM   #16
edwardbear
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Folks,

I've heard some professional detailers do not like using Snow Foam.

Is there any truth to this?

I've just got into car detailing so any fad or gadget seems attractive. I tried Demon snow foam and really wasn't impressed. It didn't really remove any of the dirt. It looked cool, but looking cool doesn't clean cars.

I've heard things about TFR but not sure my precious Audi 80 Cabriolet is the thing I want to try it on.
edwardbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 11:06 AM   #17
ChrisG
Classic Audi Club Member

digress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post

(like the roundup you can buy in B&Q, it's about 70ppm glyphosate, pro is 450ppm) note the part that says 'if swallowed contact a poison centre'

umm, didn't know that but should have guessed.

My brother uses the 'PRO' stuff for semi industrial purposes on scrubland he has. However as he doesn't have a licence they have, for the last couple or so years, refused to sell it to him !

Back to topic:
I use the Bilt Hamber, recommended by the Detailer who applied the Getecnic to her S3.

How 'citrus' are some of the 'citrus' cleaners?
I ask as Virasol ( that I have , and is a citrus cleaner - that you mix with water) will strip any polish, grease etc from anything you apply it to !

Definitely not what I would wish to apply to a professionally treated car BUT it's great on patios, paths, block paving, oily garage floors and is biodegradeable !
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 01:49 PM   #18
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

It shouldn't be for sale to the public full stop. If he does the PA1 and PA6 training, he'll realise how dangerous it is. The were 'grandfather rights' until two years ago, for farmers who were born I think before around 1963 and have already poisoned themselves anyway, so, if you looked older than that generally it was sold with no questions asked. If using it on your own land it is a semi grey area, as long as the public don't have access, but you still need to comply with the code of practice, which is not simple! Best to hire someone trained to apply it, you'll thank them in years to come, when you're still alive.
Old 01-03-17, 04:30 PM   #19
ChrisG
Classic Audi Club Member

The time scale is about right, think it was about three years ago when it got more difficult.
He was born 10 years before that date ! Own land, no access.
The trouble with these chemicals is the accumulative effect - many people just don't seem to understand that.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 08:15 PM   #20
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Yep, I think it was maybe July 2014 or around then when they clamped down. Lots of motor neuron disease in people I know who have exposed themselves to pesticides their whole life, have lost a good friend to it. Back on subject!! Fairly liquid, yep, I would wash bird sh*t with it but wouldn't put it in my mouth.