Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts For Sale » 200 Turbo Auto 1984 Definately Breaking now

Old 01-08-10, 10:31 AM   #11
SteveCat
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default .

Youre not the folk whove had to pay for the bloody thing.Its easy to sit there and type up emoticons etc.

Ive said Im not working on this car any more.Phils offered help,but this is going to cost me money I dont have,not even £100.Its all gone into this car.

If I break it I get more of the cash Ive borrowed from someone else paid back to them.Its not going to be given to someone on the cheap to get running.I want serious money back from some of these parts.Ive already sold my last car to Rod when 1000s had gone into it as I couldnt afford the last few hundred,Im not doing it with this car too.

Shes breaking.I dont care how small the problem is.
Old 02-08-10, 04:55 AM   #12
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
I'm not coming on here to try and make you change your mind, but what's the point of breaking up a rare old Audi for the sake of a small job?
Get it fixed man.

No wonder there are so few left.
no comment..
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 04:58 AM   #13
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
if it ran ok before the fuel pump was changed then you just need to find out whats changed between then and now.

If nothing else was touched at all and the pump was simply bolted up and now it dosent run then id be looking at the pump again or the pipework.
Is the pump fitted correctly?
Is the fuel line unobstructed as in crimped?

Hardly worth scrapping it for and i dont see why the metering head would be the culprit in any case as it was running prior to the pump change.

Oh, are the power wires to the pump the correct way round?

Think about it a bit matey, most likely just something daft thats giving you grief.

from another thread..

Quote:
thank god! Sanity in an otherwise insane world..!

Imagine you had sold the interior and not the car, then changed your mind..!!

Well ..grommtowers is a bit of a trek for me , would help if i was within a few hundred miles..

Anyway..i thought a flow test was for gases in the head....?

K-jet is set up with a pressure gauge... Isnt it..?

Problem..new fuel pump...car not working... Put old pump back in....??

There is fuel flow at the filter/banjo into metering unit..?

Too much flow..? Not popped or split the supply hose rising from the pump inside the tank.?(hence bad smell..?)

wait a mo. I need to go back and read the other thread... About the pump..? Will try to find it
no comment...
Old 02-08-10, 05:05 AM   #14
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomus View Post
Youre not the folk whove had to pay for the bloody thing.Its easy to sit there and type up emoticons etc.

Ive said Im not working on this car any more.Phils offered help,but this is going to cost me money I dont have,not even £100.Its all gone into this car.

If I break it I get more of the cash Ive borrowed from someone else paid back to them.Its not going to be given to someone on the cheap to get running.I want serious money back from some of these parts.Ive already sold my last car to Rod when 1000s had gone into it as I couldnt afford the last few hundred,Im not doing it with this car too.

oh well...sorry for buggering up your last auction
Old 02-08-10, 08:48 AM   #15
Phil Payne
Banned

For the record, I was called to another car with the same symptoms only two weeks ago. They'd fitted the check valve on the fuel pump the wrong way round. I had previously thought that impossible.

And - you have probably guessed - it was a DEALERSHIP!

That problem was found by a flow test - the fuel pressure guage was quite misleading because the new pump could actually achieve full system pressure with closed injectors even pumping against a one-way valve - but if you jumpered the cold start valve into operation the pressure just vanished.

A healthy system should flow 900ml or more in 30 seconds. Most actually manage 1.4 litres.
Phil Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 09:18 AM   #16
BW2309
Banned

Send a message via MSN to BW2309 Send a message via Skype™ to BW2309

Hey up Groomy -

I would imagine the fault is very minor as it ran beautiful when you drove her from me, sounded and went great! If the fault occured only after you swapped the pump just check it's outputting and fitted (as Phil says) correctly. If new pump was better than old (knackered!!) one then it may have shagged the fuel filter or regulator. Just age related issues buddy.
Dont forget it had a few minor electrical niggles before so check the fuel pump relay is behaving as expected.

However, if you are breaking it why spend time and money getting her runing better - if the engine's coming out it won't matter a dot as it's highly unliekly that any buyer would be making use of your fuelling system too! It will only be a simple fix I'm sure.

The first time I can get over would be in 2 weeks but we can get something arranged if req'd dude.
BW2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 02:21 PM   #17
Acidburn
The original sin
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
I'm not coming on here to try and make you change your mind, but what's the point of breaking up a rare old Audi for the sake of a small job?
Get it fixed man.

No wonder there are so few left.
Can't remember last time I saw one of these (apart from combe over a year ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
If it ran ok before the fuel pump was changed then you just need to find out whats changed between then and now.
Can't the old pump be put back in?

Quote:
I want serious money back from some of these parts.Ive already sold my last car to Rod when 1000s had gone into it as I couldnt afford the last few hundred,Im not doing it with this car too.

Think your going to struggle to get serious money back from this car, no-one has them so doubt there's much of a market unfortunately. Even as a whole I doubt there's much in the car tbh.
Old 02-08-10, 09:11 PM   #18
SteveCat
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default .

Its proving extremely stressful this whole 200 malarkey.

I hear what youre saying there Pete.Cheers for the input.
I know that a forum passionate about Classic Audis is not exactly going to be pro-breaking.

With regards to putting the old fuel pump Ben told me was on its last legs.It at least ran though.Starting the flipping thing in the first place was hit and miss to say the least though.He mentioned something about the metering head.He stripped and rebuilt/reset it but it isnt brilliant.So,a KG metering head isnt exactly easy to come by.Does anyone know if a WR one would work??
The fuel pump I put in was the -040 Bosch fuel pump they list for my car.
The one which I took out exceeded OEM spec,and was actually the std one for a Ferrari 400i.

Does anyone know if the info about the -040 being for the 200 is duff???
Anyone else got a 200 and done a fuel pump more to the point???

See what Im up against???
Old 02-08-10, 09:17 PM   #19
86audicoupe
Classic Audi Pervert!
Classic Audi Club Member

Similar to what Ben has said - worth checking the fuel relay is working correctly. It may be that you've fitted a new fuel pump but the relay is not up to the job (again as Ben said - age related). It could be that the relay was crap before, the new pump was put on and now it's causing an issue.
86audicoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-10, 09:32 PM   #20
Phil Payne
Banned

Quote:
With regards to putting the old fuel pump Ben told me was on its last legs.
Why? Low flow rate, inablility to maintain 'system pressure', high input current, noise, cavitation noise?
Phil Payne is offline   Reply With Quote