Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » What are the pro's & con's of reburbing wheels

Old 16-03-16, 12:42 PM   #21
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp0349 View Post
I'm with Mark Fitting ten spokes to my B4 transformed it from just looking good to, in my eyes at least, looking fabulous Although with purchase and delivery, refurb and new top quality tyres it cost me £675 Not cheap but well worth it.
Several forum users have a full set of 10 spokes for sale and many come with good matching tyres. I bought a single one to use as a spare complete with a good useable Dunlop tyre from a fellow forum user for £36 delivered.

If your worried about insurance, if you haven't already done so, get yourself on a price comparison website and get some quotes with and without alloys and don't forget ten spokes were an optional extra so as far as an insurance company needs to know they could have been on since new

Let's face it though alloys putting your insurance up is just so 1980/90s isn't it, another insurance con A throwback to when alloy wheels were rare and only boy racers fitted them. Everthing bar the most basic sh1tbox has alloys as standard these days, even caravans, so a set of factory spec alloys on a 25 year car isn't going to interest your local TGB or Billy Ballbag in the slightest. The days of waking up in the morning to find your pride and joy on bricks and your alloys gone are well gone (he says looking out of the window to check the cars OK!)

Okay cjp0349, so say I were to get spokes*, what then? tell my insurance company they've been on since purchase when they have records stating otherwise and be done for fraud? - I don't think so! - didn't think of that did you?

I already shop around on comparison sites for insurance quotes, even have me a nice collection of merekat toys.

Everything may well have alloys as standard, my boy isn't nor will ever be one of them, so this is what you can do with your spokes guys ->

(*and there has only ever been one set of spokes that I've actually liked, they were on Crossle's car (now sold), but they certainly wouldn't suit my boy! )

Last edited by leggy; 16-03-16 at 01:09 PM.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-16, 12:53 PM   #22
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggy View Post
........this is what you can do with your spokes guys ->

Hat off to you Leggs, it's your way or the highway!

Merecat toys?! Even I'd rather have 10-spokes
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-16, 01:09 PM   #23
leggy

Yup, it sure is John

Hey, don't you be dis'ing the meerkat John, Vassily is after-all a biker - with I might add, very sharp claws!

Last edited by leggy; 16-03-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 16-03-16, 01:20 PM   #24
shaun5
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I've got 3 steels wheels you can have, I can even put them in my de-rusting solution so they wouldn't need much more work before spraying.
shaun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-16, 01:40 PM   #25
leggy

Thanks shaun5

As per my reply to esseff:
"Have a few things going on atm, and wasn't planning on getting them done for a few months yet, most likely June when it's next in for some panel repair/respray work, also need to get some quotes in - so can I get back to you on that one please?"

Last edited by leggy; 16-03-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 16-03-16, 02:58 PM   #26
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Okay cjp0349, so say I were to get spokes*, what then? tell my insurance company they've been on since purchase when they have records stating otherwise and be done for fraud? - I don't think so! - didn't think of that did you?

)
It was, of course, a hypothetical suggestion leggy and I included it knowing full well that you wouldn't be up for, shall we say, a little rule bending.

When it came to the accessories section on renewing through Go Compare, I ticked alloy wheels and in the details box simply put 'dealer optional extra'. If that's fraud well slap the handcuffs on me now and I'll go directly to jail without passing go and without collecting my £200 cashback

Just out of interest how much of a difference do the alloys make to your quotes?
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-16, 03:28 PM   #27
leggy

No, I'm certainly not one for rule bending cjp0349

In so far as stating 'dealer optional extra' - do you really think that an underwriter wouldn't question my doing that when I own a 24yr old car which has had, I think, 3 previous owners?

I have no idea how much difference alloys would make to my quotes, because like I keep telling you - this is what you can do with your spokes ->

Handcuffs? - now there's a thought!

Last edited by leggy; 16-03-16 at 03:41 PM.
Old 16-03-16, 03:57 PM   #28
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
No, I'm certainly not one for rule bending cjp0349

In so far as ticking 'dealer optional extra' box - do you really think that an underwriter wouldn't question my doing that when I own a 24yr old car which has had, I think, 3 previous owners?

Handcuffs? - now there's a thought!
Well all I can say is that no one has questioned me and mines the same age as yours and had twice as many owners.

Anyway, 'keep it standard' leggy says a big N-O to alloy wheels!!

The term underwriter always makes me think of a dingy smoke filled office in the city, full of little men in shabby suits who have sat at the same desk full of paperwork for years. All beavering away on those old fashioned adding machines a la Cat Stevens song 'Matthew and Son'. But enough of my fantasies

Last edited by cjp0349; 16-03-16 at 04:21 PM.
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-16, 04:42 PM   #29
leggy

Finally! and as someone you might () know would say:
"By cjp0349, he's got it! By cjp0349 he's got it!"

(I'd best put the handcuffs away now then! )

Funny, the term underwriter always makes me think of blokes in suits with £-signs rolling in their eye sockets at any excuse to get more money out of their policy holders.

Last edited by leggy; 16-03-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 06:19 PM   #30
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

What a funny thread this one was!

vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote