Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Flat Battery

Old 16-04-17, 12:58 PM   #21
Audi V8
Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Why can you not using your key unlock the drivers door manually?
Because the locks do not open manually of using the remote or key in door since the central locking is vacuum actuated and the battery is totally dead
Audi V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 03:32 PM   #22
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi V8 View Post
I will have to see if I can get at the starter terminals - thank you for your suggestion
.....or alternator ?......if it's easier to access?

Could the bonnet pull mechanism be got to from underneath?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 05:03 PM   #23
Audi V8
Newbie!

Default Flat Batter Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
.....or alternator ?......if it's easier to access?

Could the bonnet pull mechanism be got to from underneath?
I will jack the car up and will take off the engine tray. This will hopefully give me access to either or both the starter and/or alternator.

The bonnet pull on the V8 is very complex and the cable is enclosed within the body so I doubt if I could get access to it. Thankyou for your help.
Old 16-04-17, 07:48 PM   #24
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

On all of my V8s, the key physically moves the locking lever. The other doors unlock as a result of a separate integral switch triggering the central locking pump.
I don't think this ever changed, so it would suggest that something has been 'done' if your car doesn't do this.

There are 2 terminal points in the engine bay for attaching a power source. Not much help, though, unless you can pull the bonnet cable.

Wire coat hanger, extended. Loop/hook on the end.
Gently pry the top corner of the driver or passenger door just enough to slip the wire through. A bit of double jointed acrobatics, and you can hook the pull knob up.
I'm not giving away anything that the less pleasant members of society don't know. RAC use a pump up bag to do this, giving wire rod access when keys have gone missing.
Old 16-04-17, 09:14 PM   #25
Audi V8
Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
On all of my V8s, the key physically moves the locking lever. The other doors unlock as a result of a separate integral switch triggering the central locking pump.
I don't think this ever changed, so it would suggest that something has been 'done' if your car doesn't do this.

There are 2 terminal points in the engine bay for attaching a power source. Not much help, though, unless you can pull the bonnet cable.

Wire coat hanger, extended. Loop/hook on the end.
Gently pry the top corner of the driver or passenger door just enough to slip the wire through. A bit of double jointed acrobatics, and you can hook the pull knob up.
I'm not giving away anything that the less pleasant members of society don't know. RAC use a pump up bag to do this, giving wire rod access when keys have gone missing.
I fitted remote central locking to the car a few years ago and I did this in the drivers door - this might be what you refer to as 'done'. I will try the passenger side door as this lock might open that door. Thank you for your help
Old 17-04-17, 08:12 PM   #26
Audi V8
Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi V8 View Post
I fitted remote central locking to the car a few years ago and I did this in the drivers door - this might be what you refer to as 'done'. I will try the passenger side door as this lock might open that door. Thank you for your help
I was able to open the car by using the passenger door and am now charging the battery. Thank everyone for their help on this matter