Classic Audi » Technical » Car detailing & polishing » Does this look waxed?

Old 15-03-08, 09:12 PM   #11
amanda
quattro hussie!!
Classic Audi Club Member

heheheheheh there was no red marks on the cloth with the red one and yes you could see that she was waxed as as for the pearl i struggled to see the difference
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-08, 11:32 PM   #12
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
heheheheheh there was no red marks on the cloth with the red one and yes you could see that she was waxed as as for the pearl i struggled to see the difference
If you're just applying wax then you won't get red on the cloth as wax has no abrasives in it.
All polish has some amount of abrasives though and as early red Audi paint is a single stage paint with no clearcoat, you'll get red on yer cloth.

To be fair, it's highly unlikely that you will notice the difference when applying a wax on to a car unless she's been fully polished first.
The wax is an LSP. (a last step product). You only see the difference when the paint is polished. The wax is just enhancing the appearance and acting as a protectant.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 01:19 PM   #13
Octanejunkie
Grown up member

Agreed. If the paint/laquer is crap then use a mild cutting polish like G3 or one of its finer derivaties to restore the finish. Then plenty of good quality wax (not yer pound shop shite or squirty stuff). You'll have a sore hand/shoulder as a good wax takes plenty of elbow grease to apply properly, but will keep the cars appearance great.
Octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 05:21 PM   #14
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanejunkie View Post
Agreed. If the paint/laquer is crap then use a mild cutting polish like G3 or one of its finer derivaties to restore the finish. Then plenty of good quality wax (not yer pound shop shite or squirty stuff). You'll have a sore hand/shoulder as a good wax takes plenty of elbow grease to apply properly, but will keep the cars appearance great.
if it's just wax your apply then just apply it gently as wax has no cutting properties and doesn't need to be worked in. Just spread a nice even thin layer either by hand, sponge or foam applicator,in straight lines, leave for about 5-10 minutes then buff off and allow the wax to cure (curing time for a good quality carnauba wax can be anything up to 12 hours)
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-08, 11:00 AM   #15
MikeNZ
Grown up member

People say Tornado paint never stays shiny and is hard to take care of it.

I've never had a problem; the key is to get it really shiny initially with polish, then keep a good coat of high quality wax on top.
MikeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-08, 12:23 PM   #16
quattrokid
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

this it aqua waxed plus a dam good waxing with auto glym high resin polish stuff

not bad eh?

UrWR SOLD
UrS4 saloon (SOLD again)
S4 Cabrio (SOLD)
A4 cabrio 2.5 V6tdi (SOLD)
80 cabrio 2.6 V6 SOLD
90 quattro 10v SOLD
100 2.2e SOLD

FOUNDING MEMBER the 200,000 Plus miles Club
quattrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-08, 12:37 PM   #17
gabriel.oconnell
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

hi all as you my know i have a lancia delta intergrale in red a audi quattro ur in graphic grey and a audi coupe in gren blue mettilic, i always use auto glym and will carry on useing it ,like the quattrokid ,s super car his audi its clear to see if you use a good polish it will protect a car well against bird shit which i have seen the result of seagull shit on a mk 3 golf of my next door neighboyur wher it has eaten though the paintwork like acid, in betwwen these waxing your should uses only cold water to clean your car then shammmy the car dry , but polish will also protect the car against salt on the roads in winter, BUT ANYWAY ITS GREAT AMAAMNDA TO SEE YOUR PEARL BACK TO WHERE IT SHOULD BE, SO NOW LOOK AFTER THEM AND ALSO DO NOT FORGET THE RED ONE ITS TOO NICE TO LOOK SAD , HURRY UP AND GET IT SORTED, PS DO NOT FORGET THE BITS FOR ME AT THE RALLYDAY OK
gabriel.oconnell is offline   Reply With Quote