Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » E10 Petrol

Old 27-12-16, 12:54 AM   #11
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

While the introduction of this fuel is also dependent upon the availability of regular fuels for older vehicles, there will come a time when the fuel producers and distributors will have financial arguments to stop providing, or mark up the cost based on economics. Either way, obsolescence will eventually come into play.
Rant, protest, or otherwise; but it ain't going away.

E10. As I understand it, a major concern is that it is a solvent. So as well as attacking seals, hoses, etc which are incompatible, there may well be some other issues. Sealants being degraded? I wonder if older fuel systems, or repaired components (like fuel tanks) may become increasingly problematic.

Internal components become more prone to wear. This may not be such a big issue on low use vehicles.
Fuel degrades in a shorter time. Storage? Will it become necessary to drain down fuel systems which has its own problems.
Old 20-06-17, 10:22 PM   #12
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Folks,

I got tired of waiting to hear from Audi UK , so I wrote to Audi in Ingolstadt last month. Looks like they then passed the matter back to Audi UK as I received a letter from Audi UK today saying I should have contacted them!!!

Anyway, their boffins say 'E10 fuel should be OK' with my KU engine so long as it has not had its fuel lines changed or its fuel system altered or modified since leaving the factory.

That tallies with the advice issued by the Australian government about Audis made since 1986 and must be good news for those of us with similar vintage cars. Fingers crossed.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote