Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Can you bleed an ABS/ESP pump by...

Old 28-06-14, 05:29 PM   #11
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

It's amazing what you can achieve with a broom stick, and a long piece of transparent tube. I've had less messy results than with the pressure kit.
Old 28-06-14, 09:02 PM   #12
andydunn2
Ragtop Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
It's amazing what you can achieve with a broom stick, and a long piece of transparent tube. I've had less messy results than with the pressure kit.
Are we still talking about bleeding battles here..

Just checking...

Project "Best of Both Worlds" 1995 S2 Quattro Cabriolet
andydunn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-14, 10:39 PM   #13
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

I was wondering!

Yes using a pressure bleeder at 15psi. A friend stuck 30 through his and the master reservoir exploded! wary about upping the pressure! 20 then you say? or a bit more?

Brakes still don't work! £500 odd down in the last two days, discs pads, front calipers, handbrake cables and front flexi hoses and the brakes are worse than they've ever been.

It's a C5 BTW I'm doing if that makes any difference, with ESP, but I think the ESP just uses the ABS pump? don't know.

Regardless, I should be able to bleed it without VCDS? Anything I've read says it's impossible to bleed the ABS block without software.

Would you do it with the engine running?????
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 04:29 PM   #14
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Hmm, they seem to be working now.. sort of.

Bled them again with the pressure bleeder at 20psi, have done several hundred suicide braking maneuvers (on a private gravel track)(and on a private tarmac one.. with rain on it..), have run about three liters of fluid through it, not one bubble I can see but lots of dirt coming out.

Pads have bedded in a bit now. And tried bleeding the nearside front caliper with the engine running, with the pressure bleeder, and pumping the pedal too, to see what would happen. Don't really know because I wasn't quick enough to run round and look at the waste nipple pipe thing. But I think there was a bubble in it!

Will try engine running, pressure bleeder and pedal pumping on all four calipers now. Just need more fluid. £10afekin liter at the local garage! pah!
Old 04-07-14, 06:56 PM   #15
TeXerv
Grown up member

You better not pump the pedal (even not with a pressure bleeder and engine idling), without closing the bleeder screws at EVERY pedal release. Otherwise you will get every air bubble back into the system.
I know very well about problems bleeding a V8: The engine needs to idle, you need a pressure bleeder, you need to actuate the brake pedal, you need to push the brake force REGULATOR manually to full load, (sometimes you need to jack up the car at the l.h. rear to open the the brake force LIMITER), at least you need about 5 liters of brake fluid, and you need a second person, to open and close the bleeder nipples at every pedal move.

Last edited by TeXerv; 04-07-14 at 07:05 PM.
TeXerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 08:33 PM   #16
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

OK I'll try again this weekend.

You can feel what they're supposed to work like now, but they are not right as yet. They don't really stop the car really quickly until they are warm, but they do work well.
Old 04-07-14, 08:57 PM   #17
TeXerv
Grown up member

Air in brake fluid makes the pedal pressure increase after quick following actuations. If your brake pads are new, no matter wether old or new disks, give them about 50 miles to grind in.
TeXerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 07:31 PM   #18
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Sorted. got a few more bubbles out and brakes are good now, MOT this week. Sell it the week after,

And just when I came out from loosening a lambda I need to replace.. AC condenser is leaking!! tell me that's not an MOT failure! Never know these days.

Incidentally, I pushed 40 full master cylinders worth of fluid through each bleed nipple!!!

That should do it. Suck on that allroad!

Last edited by missfire; 05-07-14 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 11:29 PM   #19
saladdodger
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
Sorted. got a few more bubbles out and brakes are good now, MOT this week. Sell it the week after,

And just when I came out from loosening a lambda I need to replace.. AC condenser is leaking!! tell me that's not an MOT failure! Never know these days.

Incidentally, I pushed 40 full master cylinders worth of fluid through each bleed nipple!!!

That should do it. Suck on that allroad!
Still didnt sort mine

Maybe I should try it running and the 2 man thing.
saladdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 11:55 PM   #20
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Yeah give it a try. 'Man 2' was making soup so I did it myself, pressure bleeder, engine running and a drain pipe on the bleed nipple with a bolt in the end and a scalpel slice in the pipe. Probably ran about half to one litre through each caliper. Should work on yours, I was reading a fair bit on it and even the folk who make the software to cycle the ABs pump state that it is not necessary unless you want to change the fluid in the pump itself. (which I accidentally have anyway I think, while doing suicide braking maneuvers!) Thanks peeps for the help!