Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Can you bleed an ABS/ESP pump by...

Old 27-06-14, 06:52 PM   #1
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Can you bleed an ABS/ESP pump by...

....doing 100mph down a farm track and slamming the brakes on in a two-footed suicide braking manoeuvre??

Don't have Vagcom you see.. but just fitted the biggest bloody calipers I've ever been given by a postman! All new fluid through the whole car but there's a squelching noise coming from the ABS pump.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-14, 06:55 PM   #2
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Wasn't let in this time BTW, last time I rebuilt one caliper air got into the fekr.
Old 27-06-14, 09:57 PM   #3
ian20v
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
....doing 100mph down a farm track and slamming the brakes on in a two-footed suicide braking manoeuvre??

Don't have Vagcom you see.. but just fitted the biggest bloody calipers I've ever been given by a postman! All new fluid through the whole car but there's a squelching noise coming from the ABS pump.
I take it that was the 100 turbo track test
Wheres the pics?,dont be shy!
VW caddy van 1.9tdi 2010
ian20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-14, 10:59 PM   #4
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Sadly not yet. that's next month's project!
Old 27-06-14, 11:28 PM   #5
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Knowing how frugal you are, Dunc, old chaps; is it possible that you haven't bled them through enough?
Given how infrequently calipers come off, and how much less of the fluid gets replaced on time, I generally pump a couple or three bottles of fluid through, to ensure that grotty old fluid has definitely been displaced. The HP2 may seem huge, but in the end, there's not much difference to anything else.
Old 27-06-14, 11:30 PM   #6
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

If you are going to do your bleeding suicide technique, would you at least fit a go pro and some microphones, so we can all benefit?
Old 28-06-14, 12:21 AM   #7
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

I can do a dictaphone if that's any good, it's a good one! Like that tape of the guy that got eaten by the bear..

Dunnooooo. Yep got new, clean as a fanatical water drinker's p*ss fluid coming out, only put about 0.5L through though so won't be completely replaced (and haven't done the clutch yet either) (which you're supposed to do first I think on the bi-turnip) but near enough replaced. Pressure bleeder and all my nipples are up fur it, so easy enough job to run a couple more bottles through it tomorrow. (Mental note - buy more fluid)

What happened was.. you see.. I had one of the front calipers off before, couldn't find my hose clamp thing and was swapping the flexi hose for a new one. Fluid was dripping out, which on the old 100s is just gravity fed stuff coming all the way from the master reservoir, but in the bi-turnip it didn't come from the reservoir, it came from the ABS block or thereabouts. You can hear a noise like a bubble being squeezed around in the ABS pump itself when you press the pedal. Not in the valve block. Yet!

You're supposed to cycle the pump using software and blow the contents of the pump out via the nearside front nipple I think. But had read of a guy in TheUsofA somehow bleeding a C5 ABS pump by driving the car on sheet ice. not much of that around here at the moment but plenty of gravel. Don't know exactly how he did that, or how it's plumbed, but he was pretty adamant that it worked.

There's a friendly Mech. down the hill with VCDS though so maybe get him to help, he said he'd never used it, but he's got it.

Last edited by missfire; 28-06-14 at 12:24 AM.
Old 28-06-14, 10:05 AM   #8
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

This is the simple process on the V8. as you can see; Its not complicated, but doesn't involve suicide runs at hedges

Old 28-06-14, 11:25 AM   #9
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Hmm! Yep same sequence, with the ABS unit being in the same place. I'll give it another try, just building some giant car ramps out of wood at the moment. Frugal you say? Well the sawmill is six miles away and Machine Mart is 110 miles away.
Old 28-06-14, 03:29 PM   #10
Error404
Thobbing Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Single handed, you need to use a pressure bleeder, around 1.5 bar to properly bleed the ABS unit - vacuum bleeder won't do it....or the good old two man up-down open-close technique never fails
Error404 is offline   Reply With Quote