Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Yet another Cabby Roof

Old 04-08-19, 04:04 PM   #1
newsh
Grown up member

Default Yet another Cabby Roof

My lad’s girlfriend’s car.
I’ve recently been repairing it for them after it getting a ding and thought I’d have another look at getting the roof working.

All seems to be well until the roof get half way back, the rear deck is released and raised a few cm but doesn’t lift any further.
I can hear the pump running and I can reach back and lift the deck by hand but it won’t go up by itself and the roof stays at half way.
Pushing the close button, the roof takes a few seconds to move but then comes forward and can be relatched.

Any ideas chaps?

newsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 04:48 PM   #2
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Did you check the level of the hydraulic fluid reservoir?
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-19, 04:54 PM   #3
newsh
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Did you check the level of the hydraulic fluid reservoir?

Pretty sure I did last time I looked at the car
Old 04-08-19, 04:59 PM   #4
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Check it again, if fluid is low it won't work properly, be a good starting point.
Old 04-08-19, 05:06 PM   #5
newsh
Grown up member

Cheers Mark
This is from the old thread on S2 forum

“The car is still going fine but still haven't got the roof working. It now opens to the point where the hood goes back halfway and the hatch opens a couple of inches but no further. I checked the reservoir for fluid level which was just below max but that was with the roof up, I just read that the roof should be down and stowed to read the level.
Can I manually fold the roof back into the cubby hole so I can open the boot to check the level?
Old 04-08-19, 06:27 PM   #6
newsh
Grown up member

After googling for an hour or two it seems that some models have a manual override button in the door jamb, this one doesn’t so I guess it’s not possible to stow the roof manually
Old 04-08-19, 06:42 PM   #7
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsh View Post
After googling for an hour or two it seems that some models have a manual override button in the door jamb, this one doesn’t so I guess it’s not possible to stow the roof manually
Ah so that what that thing is then. Manual override switch mine just looks like a cover form memory, mines currently garaged on sorn.

I'm no expert, but i've not heard anyone mention an override switch, you should be able to operate the hood by hand so you can check the level properly.

One other important thing,......... have you checked the wiring looms on the boot hinges, the wiring suffers when the outer plastic sheeth (coloured wires) starts to crack, mine is now. i've exposed all the wires beneath the protective black outer loom, all my wires are completely intact but have many cracks in the sheathing. Some people have suffered complete wire failure causing all sort of hood issues so i would look their if only to eradicate that potential problem.
Old 04-08-19, 06:57 PM   #8
newsh
Grown up member

There is a rubber grommet in the door shut, just above the door lock striker plate, but nothing behind it.
The back part of the roof is vertical and the front part half way back, it just stops moving, no way it wants to move any further by force, not that I’m pushing too hard!

The hinge wires have been replaced with trailer wire and crimped.
Old 04-08-19, 07:21 PM   #9
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Mines the same as yours then.

As you know there's microswitches involved in the system so it could be one of those on the rear deck cover but i would just check the fluid level first and go from there first John. Are you still in France?
Old 04-08-19, 07:44 PM   #10
newsh
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Mines the same as yours then.

As you know there's microswitches involved in the system so it could be one of those on the rear deck cover but i would just check the fluid level first and go from there first John. Are you still in France?

No I’m back in the UK now.
I just found a YouTube vid of someone opening the roof manually and I’ve managed to do it. It’s not been stowed for quite a while sold it didn’t fold easily and needed to be pushed down for the lid to shut on it.
Unfortunately it then started to spit with rain!
It was a right so n so to put up again, it didn’t want to come out of its parking space, anyway with Mrs Newsh holding the lid up and a bit of pulling and wiggling it suddenly came free and I was able to unfold it and latch it back to the screen.
So I’ll do it again when the sun is out and check the oil level then.
👍