Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » WOT switch

Old 30-09-12, 08:40 PM   #1
5cyleargasm
Grown up member

Question WOT switch

Hi all , erm my quattro has no lever on its WOT switch assembly!! exactly what would this do to the car if it were intact, i believe it is an enrichment device.... so would it give the car a bit more punch?
5cyleargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-12, 08:48 PM   #2
Brian83
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Overrides the fuelling signal from the ECU to enrich at WOT as you say
Brian83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 08:20 PM   #3
5cyleargasm
Grown up member

ok thanks, does anyone know any reason why the lever part would be missing?? i.e do people take them off for any reason or has it just fallen off at some stage?
Old 04-10-12, 08:26 PM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

The lever may well have been damaged during some previous work. I found mine, not sure whether idle or WOT, trapped in an odd position.

The micro switch is virtually the same as the one on the idle position. You might be able to make one. The mounting points of those switches is different from currently available microswitches, so a direct replacement kind of needs to be the same type.

For now.
Old 05-10-12, 05:03 AM   #5
msh
4 ring whore!

In past when I installed 3A engine in my previous A80, found that someone had removed from throttle of that engine that arm which actuates WOT switch - way later figured out that most likely was quick'n'dirty fix for dead knock sensor - ignition adjusted late and WOT switch disabled as otherwise when accelerating the ignition would become too late.

But in your case sounds more like accident.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 07:05 AM   #6
Roger Galvin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I am assuming that we are talking WR engined quattro turbo here. The WOT switch does not override the fuelling signal from the ECU, there is no such thing. The fuelling on a WR is entirely mechanical in its workings, the ECU has no bearing whatsoever on fuelling, it merely adjusts timing. The WOT switch should be permanently life fed when the ignition is on, when the lever travels sufficiently far around the arc of the throttle plate (at about 55 degrees) it activates the microswitch which triggers the solenoid valve on the bulkhead. This changes the vacuum applied to the warm up / control pressure regulator to enrich the mixture. Without the actuator lever the switch cannot be triggered hence no mixture enrichment as the revs rise causing the engine to run lean. This creates the potential for higher combustion temperatures, predetonation and melting of pistons. Spoiling your enjoyment, cars performance and engine though not necessarily in that order.
Roger Galvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 07:56 AM   #7
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Might not be a bad idea to post up a photo of what's there. It might simply be a case of changing the microswitch, if you can get hold of one.
I know I have old ones in a box, but they are u/s internally. Mechanically working, but high resistance across the contacts.
Old 05-10-12, 09:20 AM   #8
andydunn2
Ragtop Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Galvin View Post
I am assuming that we are talking WR engined quattro turbo here. The WOT switch does not override the fuelling signal from the ECU, there is no such thing. The fuelling on a WR is entirely mechanical in its workings, the ECU has no bearing whatsoever on fuelling, it merely adjusts timing. The WOT switch should be permanently life fed when the ignition is on, when the lever travels sufficiently far around the arc of the throttle plate (at about 55 degrees) it activates the microswitch which triggers the solenoid valve on the bulkhead. This changes the vacuum applied to the warm up / control pressure regulator to enrich the mixture. Without the actuator lever the switch cannot be triggered hence no mixture enrichment as the revs rise causing the engine to run lean. This creates the potential for higher combustion temperatures, predetonation and melting of pistons. Spoiling your enjoyment, cars performance and engine though not necessarily in that order.
Now thats a proper answer to the question, doesnt leave any doubt wether you need it or not!! .....

Project "Best of Both Worlds" 1995 S2 Quattro Cabriolet
andydunn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 11:14 AM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!

Author of this thread has pictures of B3 CQ with NG engine in his album
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 06:18 PM   #10
5cyleargasm
Grown up member

sorry ive been away for a bit, its a 1990 coupe quattro 2.3 ng i have made a lever up now so may work i guess .. thanks for all your replies