Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Broken road spring

Old 31-07-23, 05:04 PM   #11
AdrianH
Grown up member

Yes too late this time unfortunately.

Now I've come to terms with the whole broken spring situation I'm quite enjoying the challenge of overcoming it, as usual. Having to resist the temptation to turn it into a whole subframe/suspension restoration, brake and fuel pipe replacement, exercise. Doing this will speed that up later on though.
AdrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-23, 05:48 PM   #12
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Impact gun normally removes the 22mm top strut nut without the aid of holding the strut center allen key, need to be carful with the slotted nut in the center of the top bearing mount, but by that time the strut will be off the car.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-23, 03:13 AM   #13
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
Yes too late this time unfortunately.

Now I've come to terms with the whole broken spring situation
unfortunately, I've been further delayed, so I've not had a chance to get back and dig spares out. sorry
Old 01-08-23, 09:44 AM   #14
AdrianH
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
Impact gun normally removes the 22mm top strut nut without the aid of holding the strut center allen key, need to be carful with the slotted nut in the center of the top bearing mount, but by that time the strut will be off the car.
I don't own an impact wrench (yet) but I think in this case it would have been defeated by the damper piston/rod where it's been knurled over the nut by whoever bodged it last time. Good tool to have for wen I do the full subframe strip down though.

Yesterday evening was spent carefully drilling down either side of the nut until the nut could be removed. The slotted nut is moving easily. Onto the next stage...
Old 01-08-23, 09:54 AM   #15
AdrianH
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
unfortunately, I've been further delayed, so I've not had a chance to get back and dig spares out. sorry
Thanks for the support –*much appreciated.
Old 17-08-23, 12:43 PM   #16
AdrianH
Grown up member

All the new tools have all arrived including the elusive 2069A, which was joy to use after the shenanigans undoing the nuts on the O/S damper. I didn't follow Phil Payne's advice about obtaining a 'turnbuckle' spring compressors (literally no one else seems to call them that) ie spring compressors with the hex in the middle that pull in from both ends simultaneously. But I should have done –* I've now got some and don't think I could have removed the spring without them. Hopefully stripping the N/S strut tomorrow will take no time at all, then it's time to surrender my credit card for new dampers etc. And find some springs
Old 04-09-23, 09:57 AM   #17
AdrianH
Grown up member

OK money spent, parts obtained. All back together. Only one problem. The slotted nuts, top of strut –*are they made from chocolate?

Using the correct tool tried to torque it down –*the slots just sheared off. OK, I'll remove that nut and replace with another one. Sodding thing tears out that way too. So now it's stuck in there, all mucked up, not tool I can think of able to get a decent purchase to wind it out. Anyone got any ideas?

i had this with the knackered nut when I stripped down but that was easy (relatively) in that I just drilled/chiseled everything out. But his time it's a brand new damper and and brand new top mount. Maybe I should just fit up the top nut and forget about it seeing it doesn't want to go anywhere, and revisit when I drop the entire running gear in due course.
Old 04-09-23, 04:54 PM   #18
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

You are probably using the wrong tool. I've seen several aftermarket versions of this tool and none fitted properly. In the end I made my own tool. VAG one is rare to see.
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-23, 08:45 AM   #19
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

>>Maybe I should just fit up the top nut and forget about it seeing it doesn't want to go anywhere, and revisit when I drop the entire running gear in due course.

Normally I'd get twitchy about this-as it makes it harder for the next guy-but as you ARE the next guy I say go for it!
Old 05-09-23, 09:07 AM   #20
AdrianH
Grown up member

I agree – and as I will be the next guy I decided not to give future-me a hard time. Also I'd hate to be that 'PO' bodger.

Last night I got the slotted nut rotating on the shaft by using a small punch and tapping it round, then eventually got some 'L' shaped needle pliers onto it and wound it off. Basically the nuts (Febi/Bilstein) are a tight fit, almost to the point of binding, on the Koni struts. They're tight on the Bose that came off too. The old nuts from the old dampers just spin on to the Koni fine. So I think the new slotted nuts maybe just need chasing through with a tap.

I make it 13 x 1.5 unless anyone knows better?