Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Why Lectric cars will never cut it

Old 16-11-18, 05:04 PM   #11
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
If you were a horse, would you prefer the internal combustion engine, or a change in french eating habits?
I hear it tastes like beef.....
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 07:39 PM   #12
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Like you David I was ( I say was) less than enamoured with the idea of electric cars.
Mainly as Im a confirmed petrolhead who enjoys nowt more than a high revving IC engine doing its best to explosively deconstruct itself.

I have however had a bit of a change of heart recently.
The battery ranges arent high enough true, but the acceleration of some of these cars is on a par with and exceeds supercars....without the fuel costs.
Thing is that kind of performance is available to anyone who can select a motor thatll fit into the application and supply enough power to run it.

Ive done a fair bit of looking into this and its something Im keen to persue as theres no real fuel costs and no road tax for a full EV and yet you can still get good range for a local grocery getter.

So yes I would/will miss the sounds of a screaming 5 but unfortunately progress is what it is and the IC will go the same way as the horse and carriage and the steam engine.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 08:15 PM   #13
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Like you David I was ( I say was) less than enamoured with the idea of electric cars.
Mainly as Im a confirmed petrolhead who enjoys nowt more than a high revving IC engine doing its best to explosively deconstruct itself.

The battery ranges arent high enough true, but the acceleration of some of these cars is on a par with and exceeds supercars....without the fuel costs.
Thing is that kind of performance is available to anyone who can select a motor thatll fit into the application and supply enough power to run it.

Ive done a fair bit of looking into this and its something Im keen to persue as theres no real fuel costs and no road tax for a full EV and yet you can still get good range for a local grocery getter.

So yes I would/will miss the sounds of a screaming 5 but unfortunately progress is what it is and the IC will go the same way as the horse and carriage and the steam engine.

Very well put !

We're all petrol heads on here, but things change and we can't stop a thing called evolution.
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 08:43 PM   #14
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post

I totally accept what you are saying, however the point of the thread was what makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when you hear it ? Nothing more and nothing so post the sounds up chaps less

And nothing is for free, anyone that thinks the gov is going to lose whatever it is, 78 billion or whatever on fuel duty and road tax is living in cuckoo land, they will want to get this back somehow, you will pay. I also work with HV and power generation, at present we are 20 years min in being able to supply the grid with enough power with the EV growth rate as it is, let alone the push to convert. Loop charging technology on a public scale is years away. So as the Germans are finding out now some weekends are very close to grid collapse, and the Russians are rubbing their hands together helping out.

No more talk of wizzy cars, out of date, smelly old technology noise please
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-18, 11:03 PM   #15
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids View Post
I totally accept what you are saying, however the point of the thread was what makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when you hear it ? Nothing more and nothing so post the sounds up chaps less

And nothing is for free, anyone that thinks the gov is going to lose whatever it is, 78 billion or whatever on fuel duty and road tax is living in cuckoo land, they will want to get this back somehow, you will pay. I also work with HV and power generation, at present we are 20 years min in being able to supply the grid with enough power with the EV growth rate as it is, let alone the push to convert. Loop charging technology on a public scale is years away. So as the Germans are finding out now some weekends are very close to grid collapse, and the Russians are rubbing their hands together helping out.

No more talk of wizzy cars, out of date, smelly old technology noise please

Like the way you put that

Yep lets hear the growlers !
Old 16-11-18, 11:21 PM   #16
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

I just hope there will always be a ready supply of suitable fuel for our classics....

E vehicles are a fact of life and I'm sure there will be some fine machines developed, but all the publicity concentrates on owning a new/nearly new E vehicle. I am curious about what it will be like for those of us who buy second hand and hope for at least 10 years out of a car.

What I've heard about battery life worries me. Even with the constant improvements in battery technology it sounds likely that owners will have to consider forking out a tidy sum for new batteries as they approach the 10 year mark. That will be prohibitive for many.

Ten to twenty years good service from an engine is not unusual unless you are unlucky, so that old banger can serve you well.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 07:44 AM   #17
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Ten to twenty years good service from an engine is not unusual unless you are unlucky, so that old banger can serve you well.

Regarding publicity on owning a new environmentally friendly electric car, there should be as much publicity on keeping what you have...….the emissions created in making a new car is never publicised!?…….and lithium mining isn't the bonniest either !
John. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 02:57 PM   #18
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post

Regarding publicity on owning a new environmentally friendly electric car, there should be as much publicity on keeping what you have...….the emissions created in making a new car is never publicised!?…….and lithium mining isn't the bonniest either !

Agreed John !

The other thing never mentioned is what will happen to the knackered batteries, are we just heading for greater pollution trying to get rid of them ?
Old 17-11-18, 04:57 PM   #19
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
Agreed John !

The other thing never mentioned is what will happen to the knackered batteries, are we just heading for greater pollution trying to get rid of them ?
I would think they're made with a view to being refurbished once they're spent?

It's a shame that the whole "new car" industry is touted as such a good thing for the environment and your pocket, I read somewhere that a car has to last something like 17 years for it to "worth it"?.....an electric car will need to last longer apparently .

I doubt in my life-time I'll own an electric vehicle...…..well maybe a motability scooter?!

John. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 05:06 PM   #20
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
I doubt in my life-time I'll own an electric vehicle...…..well maybe a motability scooter?!

Brilliant