Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Looking into,car transporting.Pro's and Cons?

Old 28-02-19, 07:20 PM   #11
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

I worked for a recovery firm for 13 years. Consider some basic additional insurance that would cover anything that may happen to the car in transit (say the tow eye snaps, alloy gets scratched, bumper dinged). Not everyone will be decent or honest, or grateful for that matter. Soft wheel chokers, brother straps and a set of wheel skates would all be a good investment.

The great things about the job are the variety of people and cars you will meet, stories you hear and a change of scenery every day. Also goes without saying, If the recoveries get a bit slow you could consider buying a broken down car from someone, doing it up, selling it on or breaking it and weighing it in! All easy peasy with a recovery truck! Good luck, hope it works out for you

Last edited by Mellis46; 28-02-19 at 07:33 PM.
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 08:56 PM   #12
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Thanks for input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellis46 View Post
I worked for a recovery firm for 13 years. Consider some basic additional insurance that would cover anything that may happen to the car in transit (say the tow eye snaps, alloy gets scratched, bumper dinged). Not everyone will be decent or honest, or grateful for that matter. Soft wheel chokers, brother straps and a set of wheel skates would all be a good investment.

The great things about the job are the variety of people and cars you will meet, stories you hear and a change of scenery every day. Also goes without saying, If the recoveries get a bit slow you could consider buying a broken down car from someone, doing it up, selling it on or breaking it and weighing it in! All easy peasy with a recovery truck! Good luck, hope it works out for you
To start off I was looking at just,collecting/delivering cars.
Recovery,I would need a bigger truck(with more cost and red tape) with cabin and work long hours.Maybe,at a later date?
Just put my toe in the water,at first.Start with,a 3.5T Beavertail.Maybe bigger if my driving licence allows it?I'll have to check on line?

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown
BIGGYIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-19, 09:33 PM   #13
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

You'll circumvent any tacho related stuff if you stay 3.5ton. Theres plenty of scope with a beavertail, see where the work takes you. You would need a heavier truck to do larger motors or do 2 at a time for example.

I wasn't necessarily saying you should jump straight into 24hr breakdown recovery people who want cars transporting do so for a variety of reasons though, have a think about how you will get work, whether you will put an advert in the paper, approach garages, a local auction etc etc..?

Insurance and the right kit will stand you in good stead regardless
Old 28-02-19, 09:50 PM   #14
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default I understand. :) crawl 1st.Thanks

Been doing,alot of Googling. Reading up on,all the regs.
I have a website I could expand,go around local garages/dealers,Facebook and local papers.Oh and on here and other sites I'm on.
Glad to hear off,anybody with experience.
Just realy,putting out the feelers.See if it's worth,going any further?

Old 28-02-19, 09:53 PM   #15
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellis46 View Post
You'll circumvent any tacho related stuff if you stay 3.5ton. Theres plenty of scope with a beavertail, see where the work takes you. You would need a heavier truck to do larger motors or do 2 at a time for example.

I wasn't necessarily saying you should jump straight into 24hr breakdown recovery people who want cars transporting do so for a variety of reasons though, have a think about how you will get work, whether you will put an advert in the paper, approach garages, a local auction etc etc..?

Insurance and the right kit will stand you in good stead regardless
What can a 3.5T carry,on it's back?Legally?
Thanks.

Old 28-02-19, 10:14 PM   #16
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Have a look at something with an aluminium back to give you as large a payload as possible. It varies, you wouldn't get a Q5 on or anything like that in new money, more A3.
Old 04-03-19, 02:17 PM   #17
arthurious
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I think you better off talking to coxy about this as he dose that
arthurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 10:44 AM   #18
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGYIN View Post
What can a 3.5T carry,on it's back?Legally?
Thanks.
Don't forget it's 3.5 tonnes GROSS including your payload.
I was told by my instructor when I was training for my PCV licence a few years ago that he was training the yummy mummies who got done for towing a horse box with their Range Rovers without the correct licence.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 10:26 AM   #19
joe90
Grown up member

It will take time to establish yourself as a 1 way load you end up driving 1 way empty so no wage, you could try getting in with a couple of dealerships for their dealer transfers ect or even another transport firm for their excess work, (our usual firms are booked up weeks in advance) you also need to get the lightest truck you can buy and keep it light, for example if your only doing transport you won't need a winch, we have drivers that remove the spare wheel and jack and just carry a couple of tyre glue bottles and also remove the passenger seat all to increase payload as even a fiesta now weighs around a ton with a Mondeo creeping towards 1.5 ton.

Bryan
joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 09:19 PM   #20
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I recently got my 200 shipped to Ireland with Shipley, I found the service quite good although they do charge quite a premium, the guy who transported it charged £500, while Shipley charged £168 to use the service. Anyway, the point I was going to make is that it might be a good way to get business in the door while you are getting going. I don’t know what it’s like to use the service as a business but it might be worth a look.
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote