Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Dropping a valve @ 20k!?

Old 10-01-09, 12:33 AM   #1
Gaz

Angry Dropping a valve @ 20k!?

No, it hasn't happened! yet.

I've been looking over a few posts on various forums recently and I've heard mentioned some worrying story's of engine's from certain tuners of the 80's/90's dropping a valve @ 20,000 miles.

My 2.5 is still in my old cq at the moment, doing nothing.. It had a rebuild before I had it and is a think on about 7k since this work was carried out..

I've no idea if this engine is likely to suffer this fate, but as you can imagine i'm naturally concerned.

All i know is that the previous owner paid to have a rebuild done in pursuit of attempting to cure some 'oil pressure' issue of some sort, .

He had even given it brand new rings and steel head gasket, only a few thousand miles afterwards (work done by him self), with the engine just being reassembled before I had it. So the engine hadn't even been run with the new rings/head gasket when I picked it up.

It went in my car tho, and it worked. think i put about 1500 miles on it or so before i bumped it.

I suppose I could relax and tell myself that because the engine is this old, it would have 'gone bang' by now if it was going to..

But it cost me far too much money to leave 'to chance' .

I just don't know what's best to do? I just know I don't want it blowing up on me when I reach 20K..

Anybody engine minded on here who can offer an opinion?

Someone mentioned the hydraulic tappets were at fault, for a smiler experience they had with a 'TSR' tuned 5 pot.. would the same apply if you had an engine such as my 'GTi engineering' 2.5? that has solid lifters instead?

cheers..
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 01:34 PM   #2
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Wouldnt think that dropping a valve would be very likely Gaz, more likely is one of the valves losing its head due to fatigue created by high mileage and worn guides allowing the valve to slam down on the seat on the skew.
I know thats happened in the past, and it happened on Javad's 90 quattro ( 034 motorsport) but he was running a rather high 500bhp on an unopened engine for two years before it went.

Think you may be worrying for nothing. However, best peace of mind is to have the guides checked, changed/refurbed if its nagging you, i know some high mileage engines can have reeediculous amounts of side play but if yours was refurbed then its a none issue id say.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 02:04 PM   #3
Emjay
Man Fettler Extraodinaire
Classic Audi Club Member

If you know the history of the car and it's been well and regularly maintained then you shouldn't worry too much.

If you're not sure then I would certainly invest in a major service including timing belts. As a matter of course any car I have bought has always had the timing belt changed so I know it's OK
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 09:59 PM   #4
gabriel.oconnell
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

hope this is not the caes but on ebay tonight there is a 20 valve engine and all the bits for sale for £995.oo which is a couple of bob as you know m8, let us know hopefully nothing too expensive or bad , finger crossed for you m8
gabriel.oconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 10:32 PM   #5
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Seen that Gabriel, have considered a punt at it, but dunno...
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 11:05 PM   #6
Gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Seen that Gabriel, have considered a punt at it, but dunno...
link?
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote