Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Inspired by others....My own blasterator

Old 22-06-20, 06:12 PM   #1
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Inspired by others....My own blasterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids View Post
...just waiting for the glass to come and a couple of air line fittings and should be in business.

...Hopefully save a few quid from farming this work out usually, and you never know might even be able to earn a few pennies in the process.

Somewhat inspired by your own endeavours
and
being too impatient to wait to get stuff done based on other people’s availability
and
Having a growing pile of stuff needing seeing to

I’m in the throes of making my own.

A couple of questions-
What glass did you use?
Where did you source rubber gloves with mounting rings- or more importantly, do you have a source that ISN’T of Chinese origin? There’s plenty of chinese stuff, sadly.
What have you used for a gun?
Old 22-06-20, 09:18 PM   #2
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Its a good size
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-20, 09:41 PM   #3
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
Its a good size
All the girls say that to me
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-20, 10:08 PM   #4
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Somewhat inspired by your own endeavours
and
being too impatient to wait to get stuff done based on other people’s availability
and
Having a growing pile of stuff needing seeing to

I’m in the throes of making my own.

A couple of questions-
What glass did you use?
Where did you source rubber gloves with mounting rings- or more importantly, do you have a source that ISN’T of Chinese origin? There’s plenty of chinese stuff, sadly.
What have you used for a gun?
Glass form a shop fitters, toughened glass shelf £19 plus post, polished edges, but you get the sizes they have, make the hole fit the glass, 800mm by 350 I think.

Glove rings are electrical floor grommets take from work, snug but plenty of room and free.

Don't search shot or vapour gloves, I think I searched fleabay for long industrial cleaning gloves.
Gun I made my own from a design on youtube. Works ok but haven't really had time to play with it much. I would like a Tacoma gun but haven been able to find one in the UK yet, they are supposed to be excellent.

Couple of things I have learnt and read doing stuff, alloy corrosion is so hard, harder than the base metal, I have used coarse alloy oxide media and it hardly touches the stuff.

If you have corrosion marks in alloy, the same sort pitting you get in steel with rust, but obviously the alloy type this cant be removed buy vapour cleaning, all it does is polish it, if you want this out it has to be sanded out first.

Some smooth alloy castings do have a pattern or discoloration running thru them, you cant glass media blast this out, it has to be dry blasted aggressively first to get a uniform finish and then glass media blast.

The vapour we all know and love wont touch paint, powder coat, gaskets, any gasket silicon or sealer, this all have to be removed first, every little last bit.

All grease and oils have to be removed first or it cocks up the slurry and that goes in the bin. I spent 15/20 min degreasing the carb body, gaskets, oil and grime, 10 to 15 min in the cabinet to get it done.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jer4Vf]

You can see the corrosion in the oil filter mounting where it has eaten into the alloy. I'm happy with this but it cant be removed just by the glass bead slurry.

I may also be taking work on as well doing this as I have to make ends meet now until I find another job.

Good luck with your build.
Old 23-06-20, 04:57 AM   #5
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Where abouts are you, just in case I’m delayed and need to get a move on?
I suspect not near enough...
Old 23-06-20, 06:53 AM   #6
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Where abouts are you, just in case I’m delayed and need to get a move on?
I suspect not near enough...
In Reading, Berkshire