Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Revisiting your youth....

Old 05-11-13, 02:34 PM   #1
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Revisiting your youth....

... for the first time in probably over 25 years I stepped foot into a model shop today, we were after a few bits of Lichen for a model our daughter is making for school... And I was a suddenly 12 again... The kits, oh boy, some are superb.

I did sneak this in...

I promised the 'war department' that our eldest daughter can help... Yeah, right, maybe taking out of the box, after that she's not getting near it....
Old 05-11-13, 02:50 PM   #2
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

Can we see the finished article covered in glue , melted plastic and smudged paint ? Or are we going the full hog with airbrush and masking tape etc
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 03:02 PM   #3
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john johnson View Post
Can we see the finished article covered in glue , melted plastic and smudged paint ? Or are we going the full hog with airbrush and masking tape etc
I suspect the former John....
Old 05-11-13, 04:34 PM   #4
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

damn, I used to love making Airfix models! God knows whatever happened to the ones I made as a child.
Spitfire, Mescherschmitt, B29 Bomber, probably all got blown up and destroyed playing war games in the back garden!!

Used to remember getting that liquid poly glue, spreading it over my finger and then setting light to it! Looked impressive as a 12 year old!!!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 07:08 PM   #5
alex
Grown up member

I've ended up buying a couple Of Tamiya radio control models To build ! And started looking at buying a BMX like i used to own a P.K Ripper ......... I miss my youth
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 07:32 PM   #6
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Ihave a collection of old airfix, frog , matchbox ,and revell kits that numbers in the thousands i also have the ones i have built ,and am building, but the funny thing is as my eyes get worse the facination with 144 scale has taken over for the past couple of years, the detail is sublime well worth the time put into them AIRBRUSH i still use hairy sticks to paint them though now is probably the time to get an airbrush would probably make life easier
Post pics of your finished kits, around page 37 of this is it again thread
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 07:37 PM   #7
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
Ihave a collection of old airfix, frog , matchbox ,and revell kits that numbers in the thousands i also have the ones i have built ,and am building, but the funny thing is as my eyes get worse the facination with 144 scale has taken over for the past couple of years, the detail is sublime well worth the time put into them AIRBRUSH i still use hairy sticks to paint them though now is probably the time to get an airbrush would probably make life easier
Hmmmmm i meant i posted some pics around page 37 of this is it again thread
Fire up the brain cell
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 07:42 PM   #8
alex
Grown up member

I've got a tamiya tgx 1/8th scale with an alfa 155 body , tamiya rough rider , a mini , a beetle , Merc 190 cosworth , BMW e30 m3 , 1994 Benneton F1 , midnight pumpkin and a few others in the loft I can't remember , I used to race the 1/5th scale cars using 2 stroke engines , it got expensive in the end I had split compound tyres I reamed the engine to gain an edge , ended up fitting a slipper clutch , it had hydraulic brakes , I still have the 3 channel controller with loads of features like abs etc ....I sold it all on eBay but kept the high torque servos and transmitter . I only got out of it at the time as I got into motorbikes
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 07:46 PM   #9
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Model selection,has came along way since I was a Kid and gone up in price,sum what.
Last year I bought a large Lancaster Bomber for my Bro's Birthday.While I was there,I had alook around.Amazing what kits,you can buy.
I was up in the loft afew weeks ago and came across,afew German tanks.
When my Brother and I were younger,we would play a WW2 board game.The table we made,was bigger than a table tennis table.
It was quite,a detailed game.All the rules came out of a book,my Bro got.It went into detail of,weather(view,wind etc)angles of hit,which shell,which tank and so on.You used dice and had templates to see how far the blast would go.
We spent many an hour,up there.
I was the Germans and had some nice tanks.
We use to spend hours,painting the tanks.All to the correct,WW2 colours and spec.Some tanks were re-painted by the tank team them selves(Research in books),so there were some unusual patterns.
Great skillful game and hours of fun.

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown
BIGGYIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 07:49 PM   #10
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
Use to have a large range of sable,brushes.Even one hair,sables.
Ruined an F40,using brushes.
Airbrush is the way togo,with model cars.

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown
BIGGYIN is offline   Reply With Quote