Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » how to change coupe steering wheel

Old 21-08-09, 09:31 PM   #11
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9eag View Post
hi guys, looking for a bit of advice on how to change my air bag steering wheel to a three spoke, non air bag sports wheel. The airbag wheel has two holes on the back, one at either side and i've been told i need a special key to release the air bag module. Im basicly stuck before i've started. Can any one offer any advice? has any one done this change before

thanks
Why don't you remove the seat belts too? And bumpers. And any other safety related devices.

They are there for a reason, an integrated system.
pimpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-09, 09:28 AM   #12
quattrokid
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

the airbag should be changed every 10 years.... so how expensive is it going to be to take a 1996 car to a dealer and ask for another.. IF its not already NLA

Thinking about it, if Creags car is a N reg, when was the last of the S2's released because they didnt have airbags that I remember?

Simmo you dont have airbags in the S2 do you?
When was PROCON 10 discontinued? I have it on my UrS4 (1994) model year.

UrWR SOLD
UrS4 saloon (SOLD again)
S4 Cabrio (SOLD)
A4 cabrio 2.5 V6tdi (SOLD)
80 cabrio 2.6 V6 SOLD
90 quattro 10v SOLD
100 2.2e SOLD

FOUNDING MEMBER the 200,000 Plus miles Club
quattrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-09, 09:43 AM   #13
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrokid View Post
the airbag should be changed every 10 years.... so how expensive is it going to be to take a 1996 car to a dealer and ask for another.. IF its not already NLA

Thinking about it, if Creags car is a N reg, when was the last of the S2's released because they didnt have airbags that I remember?

Simmo you dont have airbags in the S2 do you?
When was PROCON 10 discontinued? I have it on my UrS4 (1994) model year.
ISTR the 96 build year (Sept 95 onwards) came with Airbags... As you rightly say Rich, my S2 has procon 10 on a 94 model year...

Whatever you choose to do Creag, don't put an air-bag wheel onto a Procon10 car... That really could be a disaster in a prang. Obviously, you're aware of the reduction in safety (bit like buying a rallyrep), but it's worth a look at the MOT/VOSA requirements, I'm not sure if there is a date where cars 'must' be fitted.
Old 22-08-09, 04:49 PM   #14
quattrokid
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

thanks for your reply mate, just loooking at Audi Driver and there is an S2 coupe for sale which doesnt have an airbag.Thats also an N reg 1996 ....

So I recon then that IF an S2 was available without an airbag then all Creag needs is the indicator stalks and the S2 boss and wheel then.
The current problem we face is how to connect the horn because the metal ring on the steering colum isnt as far forward as it is on the 100.

I'll post photos of it.

This could make life easier for Creag then, I put Creag in touch with a breaker this afternooon to ask about the boss part needed but if he can get the indicator stalk assembly and the boss then he's laughing.

Cheers Ian

this is the metal ring that the horn connector need to touch to make a circuit but its too far in to do so we think:

could this stalk assembly be straight forward swapped with a on airbagged car?

the rear of the steering wheel minus the boss which we dont have at the moment

the 4 holes bolts onto the boss which connects to the steering column shaft.

UrWR SOLD
UrS4 saloon (SOLD again)
S4 Cabrio (SOLD)
A4 cabrio 2.5 V6tdi (SOLD)
80 cabrio 2.6 V6 SOLD
90 quattro 10v SOLD
100 2.2e SOLD

FOUNDING MEMBER the 200,000 Plus miles Club
quattrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-09, 01:30 AM   #15
c9eag
Grown up member

hi again folks, i think all i really need to do is figure out how to get a horn up and working. me and rich were thinking that we could maybe get a load of washers the same size as the metal ring around the steering column and place them in to build it up a bit so that when the new wheel is replaced the small plunger will make contact with the washers and once the horn push is earthed it should work, we think. or the chances are, its not that easy a problem to resolve. any one know if that would do the job?
c9eag is offline   Reply With Quote