Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » deep thought...but why do we work?

Old 22-05-12, 09:38 PM   #1
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Default deep thought...but why do we work?

A random thought after going to the bank yesterday morning and looking around at all the people dressed in suits who have gone to work... But what role in life and society do they play?
Would the world come to a grinding halt if everyone just stopped?

Probably not? Or have we as a human race became such a consumerist society that we work to live?
About 95% of the jobs on the planet are probably pointless and worthless and are only there as we have a need and lust to spend money..
If we didn't have to work in the first place, we wouldn't have this money to spend anyway.

and it seems that there are millions of jobs which have only been created through a consumer ridden society and if we worked in exchange for the simple things in life such as food and basics clothes, then most of the working people would be out of work tomorrow.

as you were...
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 09:45 PM   #2
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

I often wonder what plank decided it was the male seahorse who carried and delivered the young?...
Old 22-05-12, 10:11 PM   #3
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
A random thought after going to the bank yesterday morning and looking around at all the people dressed in suits who have gone to work... But what role in life and society do they play?
Would the world come to a grinding halt if everyone just stopped?

Probably not? Or have we as a human race became such a consumerist society that we work to live?
About 95% of the jobs on the planet are probably pointless and worthless and are only there as we have a need and lust to spend money..
If we didn't have to work in the first place, we wouldn't have this money to spend anyway.

and it seems that there are millions of jobs which have only been created through a consumer ridden society and if we worked in exchange for the simple things in life such as food and basics clothes, then most of the working people would be out of work tomorrow.

as you were...
Hard week? It's only Tuesday

I worked that out when I was eighteen, still haven't managed to escape it yet though!

Yer right, the world has it's head up it's ar*e, but it'll take an almighty jolt to wake everyone up, hate to think what it will be but it'll happen one day. At least we know already, that's all that matters.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 10:14 PM   #4
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
Hard week? It's only Tuesday

I worked that out when I was eighteen, still haven't managed to escape it yet though!

Yer right, the world has it's head up it's ar*e, but it'll take an almighty jolt to wake everyone up, hate to think what it will be but it'll happen one day. At least we know already, that's all that matters.
lol! Is it?! Better go to work tomorrow then!

Made me think when my mate posted the other day 'If I had 1 acre of land and was mortgage free, I'd never have to work again'
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 10:18 PM   #5
ian20v
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I feel most folks work because they want to be happy and content at the end of the day ,but does it deliver the goodies?Or is it Donkey and carrot syndrom
ian20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 10:20 PM   #6
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Made me think when my mate posted the other day 'If I had 1 acre of land and was mortgage free, I'd never have to work again'
Four acres is the optimum! Room to feed yourself, winter and summer, and grow winter and summer food for the animals you eat! If you eat animals..

Unless it was an acre of that bob marley stuff he's talking about, that'd set you up until retirement for sure..
Old 22-05-12, 10:24 PM   #7
ian20v
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
Four acres is the optimum! Room to feed yourself, winter and summer, and grow winter and summer food for the animals you eat! If you eat animals..

Unless it was an acre of that bob marley stuff he's talking about, that'd set you up until retirement for sure..
Aye you dont need a lot for existence ;a roof over your head,food ,water and some good company
ian20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 10:27 PM   #8
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian20v View Post
Aye you dont need a lot for existence ;a roof over your head,food ,water and some good company
I don't think I'd even need that if I had an acre of bob marley stuff.. Loincloth.. that'd be about it probably.. Maybe a fire for the cooler evenings.
Old 23-05-12, 06:22 AM   #9
Brian83
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Never mind acres, I just want a timing belt and a radiator! But then I don't officially work any more.... (research student with stipend), so can't do any paid overtime!

I agree with the sentiment, the human race seems consumed by the perpetual need to acquire and hoard 'stuff'. Perhaps we are large squirrels
Brian83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-12, 09:11 AM   #10
rich.r

We in the civilised world have been led by the nose into the work for money ethos so the people at the top have full control.

Its suprising how little you can live on, money wise, if you have to.

On a side note thinking of Greece what do you think will happen if they turn round and say f**k it we arnt going to pay what we owe and we are keeping the euro, i suspect after a few months the dust will settle and all will be forgiven.

carry on chaps
rich.r is offline   Reply With Quote