Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Geordie's Mercedes S320 (W220)

Old 08-02-17, 08:24 PM   #1
Geordie
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Geordie's Mercedes S320 (W220)

I ended up selling the CL500 as it didn't really have a job to do. Four seats isn't any good for a family of five, and a 5 litre V8 wasn't perfect for the 140 mile a day commute I was doing back then. However, it is probably the best car I have ever had, and I regretted selling it from the day I let it go, so I've only gone and bought something similar....

Year 2000 S320 (W220)

3.2 litre V6, 18 valve (M112 engine)

224bhp

Automatic/Tiptronic

103,000 miles

Tanzanite Blue metallic

Spec list:

Sat-Nav

Dual zone Air-con & climate control

4 x electric windows

Power sunroof

Great audio

Double glazing

Auto Wipers

Auto Headlights

Power adjustable steering wheel, which raises and lowers on exit/entry like an LS400

Full heated leather interior, with multi-adjustable power switches

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Parking sensors front and rear

Cruise Control

Soft/Self closing doors (x4)

No ABC (Active Body Control) faults

Two rear vanity mirrors

Pre-2001, so £20 a month to tax

Pretty similar spec to the CL500 really, just missing the pulsing/massaging facility on the front seats and the air cooled bit too. And the extra 80 odd horses!

I bought it for a good price, knowing it had a short MOT, a cracked windscreen and needing two, probably four, new tyres. The windscreen was replaced...

....and I put it in for it's MOT the next day. Failed on four tyres, rear pads, a wiper and two ball joints. In addition to that, when the NS ball joint was being replaced, it was noticed that one of the nuts on the arm was actually feckin welded. So a new suspension arm was ordered and fitted. All done, 12 months MOT.

Somebody rear-ended me last week, a proper thwack like, and I expected carnage at the back when I got out....nothing except for a few little paint scuffs and the rear parking sensors have stopped working. Built to last these big Mercs. The lad who drove into the back of me is paying for the respray and repair to the sensors outside of the insurance, which is canny.

It's proving to be surprisingly economical. A run down to Telford and back (411 miles) returned 34mpg, which I think is pretty darn good for a 3.2 V6.

It's a gorgeous place to sit, and eats up the miles in silent comfort. Love it.

Things still to sort:

* Suspension stays lovely and level, but doesn't go up or down by pressing the button on the dash. There is a compressor somewhere which fires up a bit noisily the first time the car goes over 30mph, and lasts for about a minute, then goes off.
* Front parking sensors need attention, as well as the rears which are being sorted.
* SRS light comes on intermittently. Probably a connection under the passenger seat, as it never comes on when someone is sat in that seat.
* Wheels need a refurb. I have a mate who can do all four for £80.
* New centre caps required
* I broke the sticky up Merc badge off the bonnet at the weekend when I was drying the car off with a micro fibre. Forgot about it! Doh!
* I haven't tried the air-con, but I was told it "needs a regas"
* Interior really needs a proper valet. The owner before last obviously had young kids, and they left their spills as evidence, especially on the carpets.
* NS rear light lens is slightly broken at one edge, and slightly cracked, so I'll replace it.
1983 Datsun Stanza
1999 Toyota Corolla 1.3 (for the son)
1999 Mercedes E55 AMG (5.5 litre V8)
2007 Discovery 3 (2.7 TD V6) - for sale
2011 Mercedes B180d Sport
Geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 08:40 PM   #2
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Nice car!

Some of these older luxo barges are bargains as long as you can DIY

Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 08:52 PM   #3
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I quite like that Geordie
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 09:00 PM   #4
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Nice bus, sounds suspiciously 'allroad-esque' that behaviour. It will most likely be the same wabco compressor and valve block setup, the piston ring wears and the pump overheats and cuts out, also the system can fill with water and condensation if the air drier blocks up, which knackers the valve block, then the pump overheats and cuts out. It fires up to fill an air receiver, but if it's not using the air, it'll cut out! So control unit, valve block or compressor potentially knackered. You could get a bulletproof piston ring from a guy called bagpipingandy on the net and rebuild the compressor but a new compressor is just about as easy, costs more but less hassle! Noisy pump is usually the ring, you see folk selling allroads and saying it's the rubber mounts, but it isn't, lol. But if it's not doing anything it's probably the valve block or control unit. I'd google moisture getting in anywhere on them, and where it gets in!

Last edited by missfire; 08-02-17 at 09:09 PM.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 09:22 PM   #5
Minty
Classic Audi Club Member

I'd drive an old cruiser like that if I did fewer miles per year - like the plate too - genuine original issue (ie proper plate with history) from Downpatrick in 1976
1986 GT 2.0 Tornado Red - long gone
2001 A6 2.4 V6 - exported to Ireland
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 10:05 AM   #6
Geordie
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
Nice bus, sounds suspiciously 'allroad-esque' that behaviour. It will most likely be the same wabco compressor and valve block setup, the piston ring wears and the pump overheats and cuts out, also the system can fill with water and condensation if the air drier blocks up, which knackers the valve block, then the pump overheats and cuts out. It fires up to fill an air receiver, but if it's not using the air, it'll cut out! So control unit, valve block or compressor potentially knackered. You could get a bulletproof piston ring from a guy called bagpipingandy on the net and rebuild the compressor but a new compressor is just about as easy, costs more but less hassle! Noisy pump is usually the ring, you see folk selling allroads and saying it's the rubber mounts, but it isn't, lol. But if it's not doing anything it's probably the valve block or control unit. I'd google moisture getting in anywhere on them, and where it gets in!
Good info there, thanks.

I'll have a look when I get a chance.
1983 Datsun Stanza
Old 09-02-17, 10:12 AM   #7
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There's a Wheeler Dealers episode where Ed has the same problem with a horrible black Range Rover, series 9 or 10 that'd be worth watching
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 11:34 AM   #8
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

Nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post

Some of these older luxo barges are bargains as long as you can DIY

This! But definitely bargains to be had.
audi80fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-17, 05:02 PM   #9
Geordie
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Sold the S320......replaced it with this....

1983 Datsun Stanza