Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Reality Check

Old 25-05-18, 05:30 PM   #91
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
Cheers!

What I am enjoying is fixing things as well as just replacing them.

Things like refurbing the caliper, the door trims and the seat backs for instance, it’s very satisfying.

It's more satisfying when you can fix things
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-18, 11:17 AM   #92
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Not given up on this but been on a go slow as I've spent a lot of the last 6 days communing with the gods of the water closet.

Sunroof repaired and back in place. Noticed that the seal for the bee sting is split so new one of them in the post.

The passenger side lower door hinge has been replaced with a black one at some point, I presume through wear but you'd have thought the drivers door would have been first culprit on that front.

Took it off, cleaned it, painted it white and back on. Duff's handy hint, the doors on these things are heavy so if you have to move them to access the hinge bolts, bung some longer bolts in and use these to retain it's position whilst moving it back. Much easier!

Been a while since the roof's seen a microfibre, all clean now.

Had a nice cleaning and drying day yesterday
It all looks pretty rough in the photo but that's just down to it being damp, it all cleaned up really well. I'm using Chemical Guys fabric cleaner now, it's excellent.

Thought I'd clean the rear channels and drains. I'd noted some water marking in the boot before but underneath the rear water reservoir so didn't think much of it. Poured some water onto the offside channel and it pours straight into the boot via the top of the rear light cluster. Took the trim on that side off and the drains completely blocked and the water is going straight through the outer screw hole on that side.

The seal above this screw had rust/water staining on it, as usual the clues are there if you look hard enough.

Taken off, dried, cleaned and resealed! I found that the 2 trim retaining screws into the floor at the back have both been taken out, I think to allow the boot to drain!

Feck me...........
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-18, 12:30 PM   #93
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Feck me...........

You love it really
Old 29-05-18, 03:19 PM   #94
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Yeah I like it when I find an answer to a problem.

Exhaust hangers arrived, fitted and the exhaust is where it should be.
Bump stop arrived, nearside front strut built up and on.
Nearside front caliper fitted and brakes bled twice, straightforward other than one completely blocked bleed nipple, replaced and brake pedal feels good, handbrake working nicely.
Ran the car up to temp in order to confirm proper operation of the cooling system, fan cuts in when it should, i’ll remove the manual override that’s fitted, the sender for the dash gauge works as well.

Only new problem is that the alternator squeals like a pig when hot, the belts fine so I assume there’s a bearing on it’s way out. I’ll rebuild the alternator with new bearings and bushes unless I can source a cheaper replacement.

Several steps forward, one step back!
Old 30-05-18, 01:17 PM   #95
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Pushing on again as I've got a deadline to meet (essentially I'm on a promise for another old Audi when this goes)

Cracked on with the seats. The plastic guides for both were shot and the seats rocked and the runners were metal to metal on both seats.....not ideal.

Bought this kit (about £6 or £7) which gives you a full set of guides for both seats.

This is the difference between the 2 seat foams. Somebody had been into the drivers seat base before and done a bodge repair (which in turn had disintegrated).

Did the seat nets, easier on the earlier seats than the later cab ones as the net supports screw on here.

Final result after new base foam, both bases painted at the usual spot, fresh guides, a hoover, a good scrub and wash, they cleaned up really well!

Bee sting seal arrived, slightly larger than the fecked original but still seals nicely.

Roof lining going back in now and much cleaning of plastic going on. Because the majority of the plastic is self coloured I've been using Meguiars Scratch X plastic polish, it really bring the trims back to life.

The leak from the sunroof has been fairly major, there's signs of water ingress through the courtesy light, however I''m sure I've got that one covered.

Had a look at the alternator noise, the unit spins smoothly and is a refurbished/fairly fresh looking lump. The noise wasn't there before I put the replacement belt on (which came out of the boot of the car and has probably been there since sixteen canteen) so a new belt's in the post.

Last edited by Duffy3074; 30-05-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 30-05-18, 02:04 PM   #96
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

enjoying the updates seats look well
audi80fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-18, 02:08 PM   #97
Davids
4 ring whore!

Loving the updates,
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-18, 04:17 PM   #98
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Great stuff again, those seats look great !

Old 30-05-18, 05:05 PM   #99
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks

I’m fair chuffed with the seats, they cleaned up and repaired well.

There’s light at the end of the tunnel now.

Just the rest of the interior to put back in, the wheels to do, the alternator belt and sort the rust at the front of the roof along with painting the drivers door and bumper.

10 mins work at worst

Old 30-05-18, 05:33 PM   #100
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Thanks

I’m fair chuffed with the seats, they cleaned up and repaired well.

There’s light at the end of the tunnel now.

Just the rest of the interior to put back in, the wheels to do, the alternator belt and sort the rust at the front of the roof along with painting the drivers door and bumper.

10 mins work at worst

10 mins at worst You're doing very well with this and i look forward to how you tackle the roof.

I'm learning some good things on this thread