Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Fuel Hose

Old 05-11-17, 07:25 AM   #1
Test Pilot
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Fuel Hose

Hello folks.
On my B2, I need a fuel line/hose that comes from the fuel tank to the filter. Problem is, it seems to be two different sizes at each end?
Is this correct and if so, does anyone have one I can purchase or a solution on how to make one up?
It's virtually all that's holding up getting her back on the road! Very frustrating.
We have a bit of garden hose in place a the moment for test purposes but a safe solution is needed.
Thanks for any help and advice, Paul.
Test Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 08:19 AM   #2
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

My own 1987 B2 Audi Coupe Gt 2226cc KV is fuel injected and the pipe work runs from the outlet of the tank to the fuel pump to the accumulator then to the fuel filter, from what I can remember the tank outlet (12-13mm) is smaller than the fuel pump (15mm), I used a fuel pipe that was a snug fit on the tank and had to heat up the other end on to the fuel pump in a mug of hot water to soften it to let it expand on the the fuel pump, always use the correct type of fuel pipe, between tank and fuel pump can be any type of fuel pipe but after the pump the pressure is roundabout 6 Bar and you need to use pipe with running pressure of around 10-12 Bar, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE OUTLET AND RETURN PIPE SPOUT ON THE FUEL TANK THEY DO RUST AND SNAP OFF.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 11:06 AM   #3
Hoyle
80q addict
Classic Audi Club Member

I had the same myself on my 80q, the tank outlet and pump inlet being different diameters.

I went for SAE J30R9 100% ethanol safe hose, as todays fuels contain even more ethanol before and can actually eat through lesser standards of hose.

Feed and return hoses cost me circa £40 but worth it if they're going to last.

As a Typ 25 owner too, I know all to well about how perished fuel pipes can lead to burning your pride and joy in minutes - so many horror stories within the owners clubs.

Thankfully on our Audis, you'd hope the worst thing would be just dumping our fuel onto the road if a hose let go - better safe than sorry.

I got mine from brickwerks:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/catalog...Feco&.x=0&.y=0

Available at the above link in different diameters and I think they sell by the 0.5M.

My 80 Quattro thread
Hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 06:33 PM   #4
Test Pilot
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for your help, I'll take a look.
Test Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote