Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Audi 100 no brake lights and won't release from park when engine on - HELP!!!

Old 15-08-08, 05:00 PM   #1
20vquattro
Newbie!

Default Audi 100 no brake lights and won't release from park when engine on - HELP!!!

Hi guys hope your all doing well - i'm quite new on here and i must say i am very impressed with this site - love all the cool audi's and great advice. I'm running two audi's at the mo - an audi 90 20v quattro - g reg and an f reg audi 100 with 60k on the clock! - I will post pics of these soon!! - My first car was an audi 80 gl y reg with 230K!! Unfortunatley my mum crashed it! Since then i have owned two audi 80 sports one red and one white - biggest regret i sold them!! Any way back to the 100 - i no longer have any brake lights and when the engine is on the gear lever (auto) is stuck in park. I can only engage D when the enghine is off - If anyone outhere can help me - please let me know. Long live classic audi.
cheers
juneid (20vquattro)
20vquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-08, 05:24 PM   #2
TheTwelveQuidKid
Grown up member

Send a message via AIM to TheTwelveQuidKid

I've no experience of this, but at a guess, it's the brake light switch which activates the release for the gear selector. If the brake lights aren't working, it sounds like the switch has failed. I'd test that first and see what happens.

** edit - you can probablay disable the gearshift locking mechanism if you need to move the car. If it's electrically operated then if you disconnect the power from it, and maybe jam it so it can't engage, the gearshift will move regardless of whether or not the brake pedal is pressed etc. Hopefully someone on here will know how.
TheTwelveQuidKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-08, 06:27 PM   #3
20vquattro
Newbie!

Thanks mate - i will check this out!
Old 16-08-08, 04:03 PM   #4
msh
4 ring whore!

Lulz. Remove this plastic shelve, which is above driver's legs and there is switch. Unplug it, put a piece of wire in connector and check out lights.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-08, 12:22 PM   #5
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

When you experience this problem I assume you cannot hear a clicking noise coming from your gear selector when you depress your brake pedal.

Try turning the switch either clockwise or anti-clockwise while pressing your brake pedal until you hear the clicking sound. It may save you having to get a replacement switch and may help you if it happens again.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-08, 02:13 PM   #6
20vquattro
Newbie!

Smile audi 100 brake lights and gear selector sorted!!

Thanks to all the 'spot on' advice my audi is now fine and i don't have to worry about someone driving into the back of me and my wife won't brake the gear lever!!

Thanks everyone!!

20vquattro (juneid)