Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Movie Software Advice Please...

Old 06-10-19, 01:39 PM   #1
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Movie Software Advice Please...

Greetings folks,

Some advice on making a DVD I can play on any home Dvd player please....

I'm using Windows 10. I downloaded a free movie making app called Animotica from the Microsoft Store. This helped me create my 'movie' and saved it into MP4 format. I also downloaded a free file converter app from the MS store called Video Converter Any Format.

I used this to covert the movie from MP4 to MPEG (it did not offer MPEG-2 format) and then burned it to a DVD disc using win media player. When I tried to play the disc on my 10 year old Sony DVD player it recognised nothing...

I assume my error is using MPEG rather than MPEG-2? I don't think I used WMPlayer in the wrong way...

Can anyone see where I went wrong? Can anyone suggest an alternative file converter?
Preferably free and from a trusted source, such as the MS Store?

Thank you.....

Last edited by Ringmaster; 06-10-19 at 01:41 PM.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 03:48 PM   #2
jimh
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

DVD file structure is not just a MPEG2 dumped in the root of the disc.
There must be a VIDEO_TS folder which contains your MPEG2 file (with a specific name, in VOB format), and other indexing files (IFO & BUP files etc).

For an idea see https://www.tomsguide.com/us/all-you...iew-802-2.html

When I used to do some DVD creation, I used TMPGEnc to create the file structure and menus etc, then Nero to burn them in DVD video format. That was about 15 years ago though and those softwares have changed a lot since.

If you don't need DVD menus etc, then look into VCD / SVCD formats which have a much more basic file structure and should be playable in any old DVD player.
If your DVD player has a DivX logo, than that''s also relatively easy to author but only plays on DVD players with the DivX logo, so would be limiting if you want to send the DVD to someone else etc.

Don't know what your end goal is here, but what about just uploading to Youtube and sharing the link with whoever you want? I think more people will have access to Youtube than a working DVD player these days...
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 06:11 PM   #3
86audicoupe
Classic Audi Pervert!
Classic Audi Club Member

ConvertX to DVD is the best I have come across. Old hat now I suppose but never failed to play once converted. The downside is it takes a while to convert to DVD format.
86audicoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 08:09 PM   #4
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
Don't know what your end goal is here,....
I just wish to create a DVD, of movies I took using my phone, as a gift.....
Old 07-10-19, 06:14 PM   #5
jimh
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

You could try https://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

You can try for free all the way to actually creating the playable DVD, just with an obtrusive logo across the screen. You can then unlock just for a short period for a couple of quid to remove the logo.

There is an underlying problem which makes DVD authoring more awkward than it should be. Mpeg 2 was a licensed format up until last year. Every device that played or encoded Mpeg 2 was licensed and a fee paid. That put off anyone from creating free encoding software, only commercial operations ever did it.
It's free now (since last year) but pretty much obsolete, so I guess no-one has developed free software still.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 08:06 PM   #6
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks Chaps.....