Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Non-starting 2.6E

Old 01-10-19, 03:10 PM   #91
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor Dave View Post
Seems like you are getting there. Have you checked your engine mounts? They can cause odd vibrations if they are on the way out. Just an idea.
Hi.

Now that's a very good shout!

Of all the things that I've considered a cause...this one slipped my mind. I'll pass this on to the garage. I get on very well with the guy, and he doesn't get all out of joint like some mechanics do when you make suggestions.

Cheers for that,
Alan
Alan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 08:54 PM   #92
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Sounds like you're nearly there. I'm guessing all codes are now gone

I'm almost back to normal now - just not working on cars.
Old 02-10-19, 02:37 PM   #93
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
Sounds like you're nearly there. I'm guessing all codes are now gone

I'm almost back to normal now - just not working on cars.
Hi Mike.

Good to hear you're on the mend. Your health always has to come first.

To be honest, I don't know what the situation is with the codes. I'm assuming everything is clear because nothing has been mentioned since the auto electrician got the car started. I'd actually forgotten all about that side of things.
I threw the idea of the engine mounts towards the mechanic yesterday, so I'd better not push my luck by doing the same with suggesting he reads the codes as well. I'll keep it in mind though for when I see him next. Hopefully all will be well by then though, and I won't need to say anything

Thanks,
Alan
Old 02-10-19, 05:26 PM   #94
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Good news your getting there - is it starting to pull well and feel like the special unit they are?
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 10:00 PM   #95
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Good news your getting there - is it starting to pull well and feel like the special unit they are?
Really wish I'd been able to just take her home with me there and then, but it was unfortunately only a short test drive around the industrial estate where the garage is. Less than a mile overall. Top speed of no more than 35-40mph, but the difference was clear. It was immediately obvious to me that this was the way the car was meant to be, and all for the want of a Lambda probe too! Lovely feeling to finally get that V6 running well. The pesimist in me still thinks there's going to be an issue that becomes obvious once I'm able to put some genuine miles on the car, but common sense tells me all will be fine. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come around!.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 02-10-19, 10:09 PM   #96
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan67 View Post
The difference was clear. It was immediately obvious to me that this was the way the car was meant to be, and all for the want of a Lambda probe too!
It now seams that's another item to look out for now - all that's required from the pros is genuine good diagnostics, thats the hard bit!
Old 02-10-19, 10:15 PM   #97
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan67 View Post
Lovely feeling to finally get that V6 running well. The pesimist in me still thinks there's going to be an issue that becomes obvious once I'm able to put some genuine miles on the car, but common sense tells me all will be fine. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come around!.

Thanks,
Alan
With all that has happened, it looks like all the bases has been covered. One thing is certain - you'll have one of the best 2.6 80 saloons out there by the time you've finished.

Christmas - yep can identify with that!!

Just make sure we get lots of photos.
Old 03-10-19, 07:21 AM   #98
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
With all that has happened, it looks like all the bases has been covered. One thing is certain - you'll have one of the best 2.6 80 saloons out there by the time you've finished.
At least that's some consolation. I'll tell my wife the news. She'll be over the moon!

Quote:
Christmas - yep can identify with that!!
As 'Buddy' (Will Ferrell) said in 'Elf'..."Santa's coming...SANTA'S COMING!"

Quote:
Just make sure we get lots of photos.
Oh....OK then. If you insist

I'll update soon hopefully.
Thanks,
Alan
Old 06-02-20, 08:08 PM   #99
Alan67
Grown up member

Hi again everybody!

This post has been a long time coming, but with the car not really having done many miles since my last post, and with there not having been any change to the way the car was running, there was very little to say.

Today however, is a different story. The car is fixed, and running beautifully! To all intents and purposes, it really does feel like it has pretty much just come out of the showroom. It's all down to member MikeS2, who identified the ECU to be the likely culprit. So I bought a used one on ebay for £25 before Christmas, and it was fitted in under an hour today by my local garage for £42 labour. I had hoped to fit it myself, but fears of making an already iffy lower back even worse made me give in and let them do it for me. Really wish I'd done it earlier tbh, because worrying about the car has given me no end of pain I can tell you. I'd just gotten myself into the frame of mind that I'd already replaced so many parts on the car, without success, that I had given up much hope of the scruffy looking ECU changing anything, but there you go. Thank you everyone, but a HUGE thank you to Mike. You're an absolute star!

So, now. Wife has a day off tomorrow (Friday), so the fuel tank is getting filled, and we're off up North somewhere for a few hours drive (and a few photos too...as promised!). Would love to share them on here over the weekend. Question....how do you guy's go about posting good quality photos of your car's on here? I had been using Photobucket, but was getting issues, and it's very time consuming when I'm not used to using hosting. I'll have a look on here for info, but any advice on this would be appreciated.

Hope everybody is keeping well, and your own Audi's are providing that smile factor that I've (finally!) found with mine.

All the best guys,
Alan
Old 06-02-20, 08:13 PM   #100
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

That's great news you've finally cracked it, looking forward to some pics.