Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » Fuel pump parts

Old 14-09-19, 03:05 PM   #1
Gaz

Question Fuel pump parts

The CQ has been out of commission for a little bit and just went to start her up and the fuel pump is leaking fuel.

I THINK it's right on the banjo from the pump. Or maybe the rubber pipe.

Either way the banjo is pretty rusted .

Anybody know where I can get a new banjo and bolt and fuel line the correct size?

Also knowing the relevant sizes for those parts world be great for future reference?

Cheers.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 09:27 AM   #2
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

It's amost certainly the rubber pipe that has split through old age. I got new components to re-make all the flexible fuel lines via eBay from a company in West Midlands called Engineers' Mate and another outfit called The Green Spark Plug Company who both supply small bore hydraulic fittings to the retail trade as the manufacturer in Essex has a minimum order value of £150.

From memory, the metal pipe is 8mm OD.

Last edited by SwallownAmazon; 15-09-19 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Addition
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 09:34 AM   #3
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

If the fuel systems similar to my B3 then they are a big standard banjo fitting andcreadily available from eBay and elsewhere.

Duffy3074 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 10:57 AM   #4
Gaz

Cheers guys! Will first try replacing the rubber pipe then and report back.

Also.. is it possible to get a replacement bracket/metal mounting plate for the fuel pump? It seems to be very rusty. Does anybody make a new one?

I have even wondered about maybe mounting the pump and filter in the boot instead, to stop it rusting again.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-19, 08:49 AM   #5
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

You'll find the rubber pipe is attached to the steel pipe with "one-time use" crimped fittings and it isn't satisfactory to just use a jubilee clip to attach a new piece of rubber pipe - OK perhaps for a get you home fix but not a permanent job.
I had to sit down and think about it over a cuppa or three armed with the catalogues and came up with a compression olive fixing to the straight steel pipe using the bent bit to fit into the support rubber and then use proper end fittings with serrated connection for the rubber pipe. Parts cost me about £30 all told and it's a proper job. My banjo was OK and it had the serrated fixings already so re-used it with new copper washers.
The original was a single part from the fuel pump right to the front of the car, not designed for interference.

As to the bracket, try taking it off and giving it a good clean with the wire brush; it's fairly substantial and you may be fortunate. Use a spray vinyl chassis paint to protect it and new rubber cotton reels to put it back. If it's too badly corroded to use, it shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a new one if no-one on here has a second-hand one.

Last edited by SwallownAmazon; 16-09-19 at 08:54 AM.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote