4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Anybody done a compression test?
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-19, 08:30 PM   #62
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Reading the above comments about said rogue dealer from Glasgow, he's got previous thats for sure.

Having said that it's naive to think you can buy an old car even if mint unless bought form an extremely conscientious Audi forum nut all documented etc and not expect to find something needing doing as long as there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

This 2.6 saloon was sold at that price because it's an extremely rare car and ( looking at the pics ) extremely difficult to find in that condition body wise and with such low mileage. So far it's only had a couple items in Alans care that are above normal servicing in order to fix the misfire. The Ignition coils and a hall sensor. So is it worth getting hot under the collar yet? Not really and if Alan doesn't need the hassle due to health reasons i'd be the first to understand that.

The way i look at it is, ...........with whats been done so far lets see where we end up and then decide if anyone was stung.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-19, 08:32 PM   #63
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan67 View Post
When you think about it...getting down about things solves absolutely nothing, but I agree....a few kind words, a bit of a laugh and a decent sized bar of chocolate works wonders!

I don't know how I've managed it, but I think I'm to blame for the lead mix up somehow. The worrying bit is I took photos to keep me right, and I still managed to cock it up! God help me when the dementia starts to kick in. You'll all be in for a treat with my posts when that happens!

Good news is that the mistake was noticed straight away. It wasn't running like a tractor with square wheels yesterday, so no harm done, except to my pride. Not the first time I've made myself look like a twat though, so no biggie
Exactly!............. no biggie,....... onwards and upwards as they say.
Old 17-08-19, 08:34 PM   #64
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
It did occur to me but at this mileage it's only just run in on these. Wonder how many oil changes it's had over the years, might tell us something?
Old 17-08-19, 08:42 PM   #65
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
Not to my knowledge.
Alan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-19, 08:47 PM   #66
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
It did occur to me but at this mileage it's only just run in on these. Wonder how many oil changes it's had over the years, might tell us something?
I've got receipts for oil changes up to 2007. Mostly Audi dealership, with the odd Kwik-Fit receipt thrown in.

When the garage drained the oil to change the rounded off sump plug, they remarked at the colour of the oil that they drained out. "Honey", he said. "Thanks" I said..."but don't call me honey!"
Old 17-08-19, 08:50 PM   #67
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
I've got receipts for oil changes up to 2007. Mostly Audi dealership, with the odd Kwik-Fit receipt thrown in.

When the garage drained the oil to change the rounded off sump plug, they remarked at the colour of the oil that they drained out. "Honey", he said. "Thanks" I said..."but don't call me honey!"

Sounds encouraging, not being called Honey but the clean oil.
Old 17-08-19, 09:06 PM   #68
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Reading the above comments about said rogue dealer from Glasgow, he's got previous thats for sure.
For future reference, he's now living and working from a tiny village called Buchlyvie near Stirling.

Quote:
Having said that it's naive to think you can buy an old car even if mint unless bought form an extremely conscientious Audi forum nut all documented etc and not expect to find something needing doing as long as there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

This 2.6 saloon was sold at that price because it's an extremely rare car and ( looking at the pics ) extremely difficult to find in that condition body wise and with such low mileage. So far it's only had a couple items in Alans care that are above normal servicing in order to fix the misfire. The Ignition coils and a hall sensor. So is it worth getting hot under the collar yet? Not really and if Alan doesn't need the hassle due to health reasons i'd be the first to understand that.

The way i look at it is, ...........with whats been done so far lets see where we end up and then decide if anyone was stung.
Appreciated
Old 17-08-19, 09:10 PM   #69
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:

Sounds encouraging, not being called Honey but the clean oil.
Let's get this straight, I'm not averse to being called honey, but it needs to come from the right person. Preferably one without stubble!
Old 17-08-19, 09:17 PM   #70
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Let's get this straight, I'm not averse to being called honey, but it needs to come from the right person. Preferably one without stubble!