Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Any UK wrestler fans?

Old 30-10-15, 04:56 PM   #11
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john johnson View Post
Fine athletes !!
some of them where, chose this bout as it shows lots of kids having a great time, as well as Kilby.
Hadnt realised it was a two-part video, so here's part 2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mc_fJOKiTbs

Last edited by leggy; 30-10-15 at 04:58 PM.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-15, 05:25 PM   #12
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Thought this might result in its own thread!

British TV wrestling from this era may indeed be looked upon as a bit of a joke but many of them were indeed 'athletes' to use a modern phrase and quite a number of them were truly hard men

Ones I particularly recall not already mentioned, some of whom are no longer with us
Adrian Street
Mark 'Rollerball' Rocco
Jackie Pallo
Les Kellett (what an animal he was!)
Wayne Bridges
Johnny Kwango
Big Pat Roach who later had a starring role in 'Auf Weidersehen Pet'
and in later years Davey Boy Smith from Wigan who found mega stardom in the US with the then WWF as British Bulldog. Died in the early noughties IIRC
1973 (M) 80L 1.3 2-dr white
1979 (T) 80SE 1.6 met.bue
1983 (Y) 80CL 1.6 met.blue
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-15, 05:44 PM   #13
leggy

Hey cjp0349

I dont remember Adrian Street or Jackie Pallo, and whilst I've heard of Davey Boy Smith I cant remember if I've seen/met him or not, but the others, yep, and Johnny Kwango was a great guy, known for his head-butts. He was drinking in the 'adults' only bar one night and after ages of hanging around outside the bar in the hope that he'd come out so that I could ask him for his autograph (I had quite a collection back then!) I eventually had to ask my dad to go in the bar to get it, and after what seemed like ages, my dad came back with an autograph, a bag of crisps and a bottle of cola with a straw courtesy of Mr Kwango, and as a kid, well it made my day!

A few others:
Steve Grey (my favourite back then )
Dynamite Kid
Catweasle

There was a wrestler that used to have me in stitches, his names just not coming to me atm though.

Last edited by leggy; 30-10-15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 30-10-15, 07:22 PM   #14
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggy View Post
Hey cjp0349

I dont remember Adrian Street or Jackie Pallo, and whilst I've heard of Davey Boy Smith I cant remember if I've seen/met him or not, but the others, yep, and Johnny Kwango was a great guy, known for his head-butts. He was drinking in the 'adults' only bar one night and after ages of hanging around outside the bar in the hope that he'd come out so that I could ask him for his autograph (I had quite a collection back then!) I eventually had to ask my dad to go in the bar to get it, and after what seemed like ages, my dad came back with an autograph, a bag of crisps and a bottle of cola with a straw courtesy of Mr Kwango, and as a kid, well it made my day!

A few others:
Steve Grey (my favourite back then )
Dynamite Kid
Catweasle

There was a wrestler that used to have me in stitches, his names just not coming to me atm though.
Great story about Mr Kwango leggy it's things like that that you will remember all your life
Surprised you don't remember Adrian Street and particularly Jackie Pallo. Adrian had long dyed blonde hair and wore 'glam rock' make up a la Bowie/Bolan etc. a real showman. Pallo was about as big as they got. He was Mick McManus' main rival and a TV regular
1973 (M) 80L 1.3 2-dr white
1979 (T) 80SE 1.6 met.bue
1983 (Y) 80CL 1.6 met.blue
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-15, 07:37 PM   #15
leggy

I do seem to remember a guy with long blonde hair and glam rock style makeup, and as you say, Pallo was around at the same time as McManus, so its quite possible that I have seen them both, but as a kid, well it's easy to forget the names and faces of those that might have only appeared once or twice.
Old 30-10-15, 11:44 PM   #16
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggy View Post
...There was a wrestler that used to have me in stitches, his names just not coming to me atm though.
After some research, I think it might have been Les Kellet, known for his buffoonery in the ring, and this clip certainly had me lmao before it had even reached the halfway mark:

https://youtu.be/ntElO-N-mHw

Came across a few more names too -
Cry baby Cooper
Jim Breaks
Alan Dennis
Count Bartelli
Skull Murphy
Tony St.Clair
Steve Logan

I don't recall seeing Bartelli, but the others all ring a bell (pardon the pun ).

Oh and I didnt know this, but Dynamite kid and Davey Boy Smith were cousins, they paired up and wrestled under the name of The British bulldogs. Lots of controversy regarding Smith's death too, he died in 2002 at the age of 39!