Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Brake re-build kit for 85 Coupe GT

Old 03-01-19, 06:28 PM   #1
Cheshire Cat
Newbie!

Default Brake re-build kit for 85 Coupe GT

Hi all,

I own a 1985 Audi Coupe GT.

Over the winter I plan to have the brakes fully serviced and stripped. The plan is to have the callipers painted.

Can anyone advise if I need a brake re build kit or would it be sensible to source an exchange calliper?

Thanks in advance
Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 01:11 PM   #2
droopsnoot
Grown up member

The only trouble I ever had on my cq was with the handbrake parts on the rear calipers, and I think there was wear in them. At the time I could get exchange calipers from ECP, so that's what I did. Though on two occasions they managed to provide two from the same side, rather than a pair. I imagine they're the same as something else, as it didn't seem to be much of a problem to get them.

I'm part-way through rebuilding / welding my car, but at some point I'll get on to refurbishing the calipers. I was intending to do them myself, perhaps with a kit from someone like Bigg Red, though it will all depend on what the costs of exchange calipers are, and if they're even available. That's the other option of course - send the caliper to be refurbished. I know Bigg Red do different options (which are basically different paint or plating finishes) and probably some others do too.
droopsnoot is offline   Reply With Quote