Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » Audi 100 S4 front brakes anyone???

Old 25-07-17, 01:05 AM   #1
Audimaan
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Cool Audi 100 S4 front brakes anyone???

Attention needed for my Audi 100 S4 1992 please.
Im in need of front brake discs & pads on my Audi 100 S4. It has the UFO type discs set up at the moment but now needs replacing, These UFO type are now obsolete and ive heard i can use the set up of an A6 Quattro etc. Has any body got anything Suitable for me or has used an alternative set up to them orignal UFO's & can tell me exactly what is needed or where to buy from please ???
Audimaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 12:32 PM   #2
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

As far as i know you'll only be able to use HP2 struts from the S6, and since they are
worth money now i haven't seen one being brocken for a while.
I guess Audi will have them but at a silly price.Best of luck looking.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-17, 01:01 PM   #3
Audimaan
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
As far as i know you'll only be able to use HP2 struts from the S6, and since they are
worth money now i haven't seen one being brocken for a while.
I guess Audi will have them but at a silly price.Best of luck looking.
Hi is that the HP2 struts from the S6 on the same C4 platform approx 94 to 96 ?
Thanks.
Old 25-07-17, 01:06 PM   #4
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes,1994 - 1997.
Old 25-07-17, 01:21 PM   #5
spink
Classic Audi Club Member

You can fit urs6 HP2 calipers to UFO struts with a bit of modification,theres a thread on s2forum showing how to do it but cant find it at present since its been upgraded
spink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-17, 08:07 PM   #6
Audimaan
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

can any other audi model a6 struts etc be used e.g. the 2.8 quattro or any thing similar ???
Old 28-07-17, 08:35 PM   #7
shaun5
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audimaan View Post
can any other audi model a6 struts etc be used e.g. the 2.8 quattro or any thing similar ???
Depends if you want big brakes, as ive said on s2forum, 2.8 cars only came with single piston calipers (ive got the complete set up) or i think ive still got a set of HP2 calipers from a S6.
shaun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-17, 09:23 PM   #8
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audimaan View Post
No!! why would anyone want inferior brakes to what they already have? As i've said on S2 forum you need HP2'S from a late URS4 or from an S6.
Old 29-07-17, 03:59 PM   #9
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Well, if it's to keep a car running, in the absence of HP2 struts, other options ought to be explored.

HP2 struts are without a doubt the obvious choice; they were installed in S6. No messing, direct swap. I have them on two V8s.

Talking of which, the V8 in both 3.6 and 4.2 versions had the UFO disc. And the 4.2 engine was used in the S6, also. When audi America ran into warranty issues because of brake judder on the UFO discs, a retrofit program put the G60 Girling calipers on the V8, with 276x25mm discs from the 200 quattro/turbo. However, my maintenance manual for the V8 also indicates a later installation used the 288x25mm disc and single pot calipers of the C4 cars. I'm fairly sure this was not an option outside of the USA/North America.

UFO discs are 310x25mm with a single pot calliper, while HP2 are a twin pot caliper with a 314x30mm disc.

I'd imagine from an insurance point of view, going down in disc size would give the insurance company a lot of wriggle room regarding cover.

I'm not keen on the previously mentioned UFO strut modification to take an HP2 caliper, having looked at it myself. The bolt holes need to be sleeved to centralise the caliper, and the head of the bolt has a much reduced surface contact. HP2 caliper bolts are M14, while UFO caliper bolts are M12.
That's not to say that it can't be improved upon as an idea.
The other issue with modifying an UFO strut is the hub. It's a larger diameter than for a conventional disc setup, and the hub face is a slightly different 'offset', too. Again, not insurmountable, but needs accommodating.

I started sourcing a Mercedes disc (same PCD), to use with a radial mounted brembo caliper. Modifications would run to making an adaptor bracket to mount and centralise the caliper. It's just part of a project that's been on hold due to work issues in the last couple of years. The RS2 used adaptor brackets to mount the calipers, as have many other caliper conversions.
Old 29-07-17, 04:50 PM   #10
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post

However, my maintenance manual for the V8 also indicates a later installation used the 288x25mm disc and single pot calipers of the C4 cars. I'm fairly sure this was not an option outside of the USA/North America.

I'd imagine from an insurance point of view, going down in disc size would give the insurance company a lot of wriggle room regarding cover.

Those 288 x 25mm vented discs you mentioned with single piston caliper might be correct but i thought they only ever supplied the URS6 over in the US with the smaller disc you mentioned with the G60 callipers?

Those 288 x 25 vented discs were also the factory fitment for my very late 2.8 quattro and were in conjunction with ATE 57 single piston caliper.Could this be the set up your referring to?

I'm not bothered either way but if someones looking for 2.8 quattro ATE 57 callipers,i would strongly advise they are used on a 2.8 C4, in original extreme low mileage perfect condition, tested, with brand new 288 x 25 Brembo rotors i might listen to a reasonable offer.

Getting back to Audiman..........just look for HP2 struts and callipers and be done with it they are the perfect fit. There will be loads of HP2 struts in Germany for sale.Wont be cheap but what is nowadays concerning these hard to get parts in the UK.