Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » Taking out g'box on GT5S....

Old 26-01-08, 04:23 PM   #11
knobstar
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Got the gearbox off the gearbox; now having to decide whether to cut a section from the exhaust downpipe n then weld back up or try and undo the pipe at either end which would certainly result in more than one sheared nut/bolt/stud

What would y'all do?
knobstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-08, 04:01 PM   #12
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobstar View Post
Got the gearbox off the gearbox; now having to decide whether to cut a section from the exhaust downpipe n then weld back up or try and undo the pipe at either end which would certainly result in more than one sheared nut/bolt/stud

What would y'all do?
So how did you get it off in the end, pray tell......
pimpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-08, 10:05 PM   #13
knobstar
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Pray tell you to meter your sarcasm

ok peeps I was being a complete prat: the three bolts at the bottom of the bracket (whihc is actually symmetrical unlike my artistic unimpression) needed to be undone...strange that The bracket sandwiches part of the engine bell housing and so the 'box wasn't going anywhere until I'd undone them....quelle plonkeur After I had, it was relatively plain sailing.

Got the 'box back in tonight after changing the various clutch bits with the much-needed help of my housemate (who owns TWO VAUXHALLS *yikes* ) Seriously; don't try and put one back in on your own unless you have an engine crane or similar!

Time spent on it to date: iro 28 hours
Better than paying a garage to do it................?
Old 01-02-08, 09:05 AM   #14
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

And knowing what you do for a job, I find that scarey!!!

I paid either £200 or £300 all in to change the clutch and gearbox on my 80CL. Included dicking about with the gearlinkage cos of the 4-5 speed change.

And all 12 drive bolts had to be chiselled off...
Old 01-02-08, 10:46 AM   #15
knobstar
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

...and knowing what degree you have I find the fact that you're making the same assumption as Joe Bloggs would offensive: I'm an ENGINEER not a ruddy mechanic!!!!! It's the old adage - a 'heating engineer' is a plumber ffs! I've no problems with plumbers but when people tell me that I do things mechanics do after me telling them I'm an engineer; it can get tedious!
It's a HOBBY! I wouldn't have DESIGNED it to have 14-odd bolts in total to get the gearbox out and an engine supported by just two engine supports that AREN'T in the middle of the engine....I could go on!
Old 01-02-08, 11:28 AM   #16
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

I am sometimes a plumbing engineer, sometimes a painting engineer, sometimes a plastering engineer......

(I am an engineer by profession, but have been paid to do plumbing, painting and plastering in my time, hence I am all of the above.......)

But if you can't work out what bolts to undo to release a mechanism......
Old 01-02-08, 11:53 AM   #17
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

I always found the gt5s/E fwd gearboxes fairly easy to do.
Used to take me an hour and a half to drop the box out on my own and a similar amount to put em back with the car on axle stands...
However, get the right tools for those driveshaft bolts (spline key) and itll make things easier on you next time.

Tip: When removing the 5s/e boxes, turn the front snubber bracket upside down so that it supports the engine as you remove the box.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-08, 12:51 PM   #18
knobstar
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Bah - how comes you didn't do yours, then?

It's all a learning curve I guess, thougn I'm not saying I feel a wincy bit daft.....Next job (eventually) of putting a WR head, schrick cam and EFI on it should be a little less painful

4v6 - I'm buggered if I'm doing it again! My gt5s will soon become a second car so won't be accruing many miles....just hope the clutch lasts asd long as it did last time!
Old 04-02-08, 03:11 PM   #19
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobstar View Post
Bah - how comes you didn't do yours, then?
It cost me £300 all in (found the invoice yesterday) (inc VAT, parts and labour).

I didn't do it because I am "time poor" and would rather work a few more hours, or not go out for a meal and pay someone to do it for me.

And the real reason....... I probably don't have enough skill or patience.......