Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Checking hydraulic green fluid

Old 15-09-21, 09:52 AM   #11
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor Dave View Post
Just had my bomb successfully 're charged for £96 all in by these guys.
Pleiades Garage, Sawtry, Huntingdon. 01487 831239 (ask for Phil)
They drill a hole, fit a valve and 're fill with nitrogen. He confirmed my bomb was almost empty of gas.
Excellent. I am yet to test mine with Tun's process (which i think is good because it removes the uncertainty of "what is a hard pedal" and shows that the pressure warning system works as well as the bomb, and the pump.)

With the engine off (having been run a few minutes)and the ignition lights on, the warning light should be off at first as the bomb has been pressured by the pump.
You then pump the brake pedal. The light will come on when the pressure is lost in the bomb.

If this is after 2-4 pumps, that's not good news for the bomb-but it might be that the pump is not pressurising the bomb.

If it takes 25 pumps, the bomb is good, as is the pump.

Starting the engine should pressurise the bomb quickly, and the light should go off. If it does not go off quickly, then the pump is faulty.

If the light goes off quickly, it may be that the pump is pressuring the bomb but if the bomb is faulty then there is only a little pressure being held in it. But we will know from pumping the pedal if a lot of pressure is being stored in the bomb or not so combining these tests will point us to the problem.

If the light goes off slowly, the pump is probably faulty regardless of the state of the bomb.

The pump can be tested by rotating the pulley with the belt off, and feeling for two noticeably hard points in rotation.

My bet is my light comes on after 2 pumps, that the bomb pressurises quickly after starting car, and that there is resistance when hand turning the pump.
So the pump works, but there is not much pressure stored in the bomb (so the bomb need to be fixed).

I am also checking that the injectors are not leaking when sat. Thus i do not want to repeatedly start the car until that test is done. And its raining. etc

Last edited by BackintheFold; 15-09-21 at 12:31 PM.
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-21, 08:59 AM   #12
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

I ran the engine. No red light so pressure ok at this point.
Switched off. Red light immediately on.
So, pump is fine but bomb is shot.