Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » Audi 100 Typ 44 Windscreen trim

Old 19-03-20, 09:57 PM   #1
nokia7799
Grown up member

Default Audi 100 Typ 44 Windscreen trim

Hi

I'm back painting my 1986 Audi 100 saloon again. I have the screens out and cant get the chrome looking trim for around the front or rear screens as they are out of stock for years. I put in the screens the last time with a generic rubber trim but i didn't like it. I have sourced a generic chrome type trim that i intend to use if suitable but id love to get the original if possible.

I was just wondering if anyone knows where i might source these trims. Are there any German sites or other sites where rare trims like these might be?

Thanks for your help

Barry
nokia7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-20, 11:01 AM   #2
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Cool

Sorry Nokia, I do not know a source, but where did you source the generic rubber and chrome trims from?
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-20, 08:10 PM   #3
nokia7799
Grown up member

I sourced the generic black rubber trim from a local windscreen company here in the west of Ireland. I got the generic chrome bead/trim from a supplier at the NEC classic car show 2 years ago! i cant think of the name but i will have a look and see have i a record of the name of the company. Im not sure how well it will work out, i just hate the look of the black rubber trim
Old 23-03-20, 01:20 PM   #4
droopsnoot
Grown up member

Possibly either East Kent Trim or Woolies, both of them sell generic trim stuff like that and would have been at the NEC show. Or maybe Martrim, but I think they're more "soft" trim stuff.
droopsnoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-20, 06:10 PM   #5
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

The original trim is simply NLA. Has been for a long while, and there is zero chance of it being reproduced. It’s a complex bit of trim, and despite much detail about how to remove it without destroying it, most glass companies and bodyshops simply couldn’t give a damn- they could simply buy a new one. Until they couldn’t.

The trim was more than a trim. It was a bladder seal, a steel trim, and wrapped around the edge of the glass, providing a positive contact with the body.

The last screen install that I had done used a VW T4 style trim. It lacks the originality, but actually looks fairly clean. From a distance, very similar in appearance to the late model 100/early A6 style- black, unobtrusive.

The aftermarket chrome effect trim that was on one of my cars looked bloody awful, and never seated properly. It was simply too bulky to be accurately shaped so as to follow the profile of the front screen aperture. This then leading to a water trap in the two top corners, and the risk of leaks and rot. I’ve looked at several, and they were all similarly compromised.

If originality is your desire, you really need to salvage the trims from a car that is being scrapped- You MUST follow the audi procedure for removal. They can be salvaged if care is taken, but it’s a labour intensive job.

If serviceability and longevity is more important, then I’d suggest a practical approach, with a simpler trim that achieves the primary purpose of keeping water out.
Old 23-03-20, 10:56 PM   #6
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Nokia, I last changed the windscreen in my 200 in 2011, at the time the Autoglass guy that did it for me in Dublin told me that the chrome surround had to be ordered from Audi in Germany, and that the one he had in his van was the LAST one Audi had. He was understandably nervous about changing the windscreen! What worries me is that I'm now, again, in need of a bloody windscreen , and I'll now have trouble sourcing the windscreen itself, although Pilkington in the UK still do them I believe, I was in touch with them last year about it.

One of the guys on here sent me a pdf of a microfiche file for the V8, it has a section on windscreen removal which applies to the 100/200 as well, I can send you the pdf if you want it, just send me your email address in a pm.

Actually that was you Hanuman!!!
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-20, 12:40 AM   #7
nokia7799
Grown up member

Thanks very much for that detailed response. I have two spare cars for parts and have taken out the screen out of one of them but failed miserably in terms of saving the trim. i could give the other car a go and follow the audi procedure as u describe. Where would i get this procedure?

I have the front and rear screens to do. I really dislike the generic black rubber/trim that i used the last time and we will give the new generic chrome trim that i bought a chance but as u have already done this and said it doesnt work out that well, i will take that into account.

Thanks again for your detailed response.
Old 24-03-20, 12:43 AM   #8
nokia7799
Grown up member

Thanks very much for getting back. I priced a windscreen for my car about 6 months ago and i could have bought screen only for about €90.. I didnt bother ordering it at the time because i was a bit off the end of the project. I priced it about 1 month ago and it now costs around €220 supply only! and only available from 2 suppliers. I would appreciate that PDF. Ill send you my email. THanks again,
Old 24-03-20, 12:48 AM   #9
nokia7799
Grown up member

Hi. Yes, you're correct. i got it from Woolies at the NEC show.
Old 24-03-20, 12:50 AM   #10
nokia7799
Grown up member

That looks like what i have...

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/produ...ve-chrome-edge

As i said, not sure will it do the job. Ill let u know whether it does or doesnt