Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » B4 avant sunroof

Old 03-06-18, 05:21 PM   #11
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedub View Post
To be fair it's worn quite evenly. It catches the top worm gear (left side open/close etc) but not bottom work gear. You can see on the motor casing where both work gears sit and you can see where it will catch one but not the other. Do you have a link for the cogs? Dont really want to purchase a motor when mine works fine and will probably get the same issue over time.

I've found a cog online for an A4. Right dimensions but had 18 teeth. Mine has 19? And yes I re counted many times,lol
Had a look but there's only complete motors listed just now and they appear to differ depending on your chassis number.

I'd imagine the teeth number is significant!

Does this help?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sunr...829455389.html
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 05:34 PM   #12
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
Had a look but there's only complete motors listed just now and they appear to differ depending on your chassis number.

I'd imagine the teeth number is significant!

Does this help?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sunr...829455389.html
Damn, they differ quite a bit from 18 to 19. I've just bought an 18 one! There are quite a few 19 teeth cogs out there like bmw. 4mm thick, 18mm diameter. Compared with 4mm 17mm. It's only a fiver so worth a punt. Thing is I'm panicking now cos I need the car for the end if month as I've cancelled a few policies and put into storage my other cars. Ooops.
Peacedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 06:19 PM   #13
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Damn......Ooops.
Can I interest you in a cog? £400, comes with car attached to it!
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 06:22 PM   #14
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
Can I interest you in a cog? £400, comes with car attached to it!
what are you like,eh... is it free postage? If so I might just take you up on it!
Old 03-06-18, 07:02 PM   #15
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
what are you like,eh... is it free postage? If so I might just take you up on it!

I'll post the key for free if you pay-pal the dough first, then collect at your leisure !

….just trying !
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 09:27 PM   #16
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

So, had a result today. Ordered a cog and guess what... It didn't resolve the issue. So I decided to strip down the mechanism and try figure it out. It turns out the worm gear that controls the side that doesn't move was seized solid within it's copper pipework, it literally would not budge even with me swinging on it. So I drilled out the rivets that hold the pipework to the frame and manipulated it all the way through. I got it to budge a cm then just kept moving it back and forth. An hour or so doing this dislodged years of black s***e and eventually it all came out and moved freely over the whole length. I lined it up with the other side, rebuilt and re greased the runners and boom a working sunroof! Now I've got to try fit it on my own... then the headlining to repair . Oh and Mark, I replaced your bespoke accelerator pedal
Old 05-06-18, 10:15 PM   #17
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
So, had a result today. Ordered a cog and guess what... It didn't resolve the issue. So I decided to strip down the mechanism and try figure it out. It turns out the worm gear that controls the side that doesn't move was seized solid within it's copper pipework, it literally would not budge even with me swinging on it. So I drilled out the rivets that hold the pipework to the frame and manipulated it all the way through. I got it to budge a cm then just kept moving it back and forth. An hour or so doing this dislodged years of black s***e and eventually it all came out and moved freely over the whole length. I lined it up with the other side, rebuilt and re greased the runners and boom a working sunroof! Now I've got to try fit it on my own... then the headlining to repair . Oh and Mark, I replaced your bespoke accelerator pedal

I'm surprised that was still there.

Great news that you managed to fix the roof i bet that makes you feel elated, it does me knowing it works just as it did for me that last time i opened it not knowing what was to come the next time.

Just to give you a bit more knowledge which might have contributed to the filth you say had accumulated.According the the sales guy in London when i bought the car, it had sat under a tree for 6 months while it's mature owner became ill and sadly passed away before the company he worked for took the car back.That might explain some of it?
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 10:21 PM   #18
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Ha ha, the pedal was a 2 minute job when you have a good spare

The crap was actually inside the copper tubes that house the worm gear cable. I can only presume it's dried up grease. It doesn't help that the worm gear has a sort of wooly material over it? God knows who's idea that was in the design process! I'll be happy when it's in the car and working. Dreading the re glueing of the headlining and all that orangey gluey goodness to remove
Old 05-06-18, 10:31 PM   #19
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

It's weird cos when i sold it the headlining was perfect, never mind at least when done it will last for years and years decades even.
We need to see pics of your car now with it's sunroof working!

Although i like the 10 spokes for a standard wheel have you thought about putting a set of 16" Avus wheels on from the S2 it would makethe car
look a bit special. It would also make the car handle much better with some 225/50 rubber on them if they'll fit, the extra grip would be a big jump.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 10:51 PM   #20
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
It's weird cos when i sold it the headlining was perfect, never mind at least when done it will last for years and years decades even.
We need to see pics of your car now with it's sunroof working!

Although i like the 10 spokes for a standard wheel have you thought about putting a set of 16" Avus wheels on from the S2 it would makethe car
look a bit special. It would also make the car handle much better with some 225/50 rubber on them if they'll fit, the extra grip would be a big jump.
I'd love to show you all if I can figure out how to easily upload photos, is it easier on tapatalk?

I've got some Audi V8 8" BBS to go on it with new toyos all round. A set I was saving for a car just like this. Gonna wear out the rubber on 10 spokes first cos they have 4 brand new Dunlops on so would be a shame but might save for them for winter.