Default No more tax dics

End of an era?: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25223631

I keep all my old ones.
Old 05-12-13, 01:20 PM   #2
JMLAudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thumbs down

Money spinner for government. ........when they lapse.....fine you heavy....
As its easy to forget when to renew.

Last edited by JMLAudi; 05-12-13 at 01:24 PM.
JMLAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 02:00 PM   #3
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

if you do it direct debit that shouldn't be a problem.

if they can police it properly then i say a hearty thanks for giving me more room to look out of my windscreen!

i always hated the fumbling around trying to shove it into that plastic holder and then the thing doesn't stick on to the glass again!

Old 05-12-13, 04:51 PM   #4
msh
4 ring whore!

The whole flawed system of enforcing road tax payment should be axed as well, but of course, prosperous western european countries should make employment out of nothing in a way like this. Over here in latvia it is simple - when you're doing technical inspection, you're paying road tax for running year and nobody gives a damn if you have paid road tax or not, because you will pay anyway. Seems like in Lituania it is the same - oh, sorry, they introduced road tax only some years ago, before that they had only duty on fuel.

I guess british system is remnant from a past where any piece of junk was able to use public roads because there was no MOT.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 05:00 PM   #5
nik
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
The whole flawed system of enforcing road tax payment should be axed as well, but of course, prosperous western european countries should make employment out of nothing in a way like this. Over here in latvia it is simple - when you're doing technical inspection, you're paying road tax for running year and nobody gives a damn if you have paid road tax or not, because you will pay anyway. Seems like in Lituania it is the same - oh, sorry, they introduced road tax only some years ago, before that they had only duty on fuel.

I guess british system is remnant from a past where any piece of junk was able to use public roads because there was no MOT.

why do we pay road tax..?oh yeah to repair roads?...well are roads in lincolnshire are shocking..........
nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 05:05 PM   #6
JMLAudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thumbs down

Helps fund overseas aid
JMLAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 05:57 PM   #7
snoopsenior
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Just my Luck! bought a very nice magnetic holder at Beaulieu a few weeks ago with the family motto on.
snoopsenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 06:14 PM   #8
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

What does one do when one wants a refund me wonders? Currently, the system works quite well, so that if you send a disc back before the end of any given month, you will be refunded for the remaining months left on it.
lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 08:59 PM   #9
ovalking
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I reckon it's a good idea - it should save some admin costs.
And they could save more admin costs if they got rid of the worthless SORN system....

That's a good point about sending the old one back though. I surrender mine before it runs out every year.
ovalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 09:14 PM   #10
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthooker View Post
What does one do when one wants a refund me wonders? Currently, the system works quite well, so that if you send a disc back before the end of any given month, you will be refunded for the remaining months left on it.
it will all be done electronically.

One of our major customers (Enterprise rent-a-car) have been working on this project with the DVLA for just over a year now and it works well. They have a fleet of 73,000 cars and getting a refund on tax discs was an enormous undertaking on a monthly basis for the DVLA as it was anywhere from 4000-7000 refunds processed a month. The process now is so much easier and far more streamlined.
we have a lot of dealings with the DVLA and I have to say, up until recently, they were the most archaic concerns within the UK and so much of it could have been moved over to electronic rather than face to face years ago.
I have 65 sets of trade plates and I used to have to go to our local DVLA office and sit and wait in the queue and then go back a week later and hope that someone had handwritten them all. Now it's centralised, I pay by BACS and the new discs are sent out a few days later in the post printed off a machine and not handwritten! Until June this year, they still used to hand write everything!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote