Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Magneti Marelli - Failed ignition leads

Old 06-08-20, 08:29 AM   #1
Alan67
Grown up member

Default Magneti Marelli - Failed ignition leads

I'm feeling a tad aggrieved at finding my 12 month old plug leads in this condition, and just wanted to make the forum aware of the issue. About time I had a rant anyways

They're Magneti Marelli leads, and were bought back on the 22nd July 2019 from eBay. I stuck them on my '93 80 2.6 less than a week later. Everything fitted fine, and the car ran ok, although the misfire I was attempting to solve at the time was still there.

However, I went to do a plug change a couple of days back, and found 2 of the rubber boots on these leads had split badly, with a 3rd one just starting to go the same way. On closer inspection, the boots could be seen to have split along the seam, so there's definitely a manufacturing fault at play here.

I was always under the impression that these were a decent brand, but with my car having done less than 150 miles over the last year since fitting the leads, I've now got a completely different opinion unfortunately.

With the eBay, PayPal and manufacturers guarantee all expired, all I can do is avoid the brand in the future, make others aware of my experience, and chuck the £50 leads straight into the recycling bin...which is where they belong

Hopefully my shiny new set of ProSpark ones don't go the same way!
Just glad I didn't buy Lucas leads as a replacement, because apparently Lucas was bought over by Magneti Marelli years ago.
What's the world coming to!
Alan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 08:30 AM   #2
Alan67
Grown up member

Sorry...here's the pics!
http://imgur.com/a/bXndigT
http://imgur.com/a/9hkpNjg
Old 06-08-20, 09:10 AM   #3
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

depending on how angry you are, you could still take action

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...%20the%20goods.

I would certainly write to the ebay seller, and to Magnetti, and follow up with both.

My first thoughts are that these were counterfeit items-as you say, Magnetti is a decent brand, and the photos look"cheap"
Old 06-08-20, 09:57 AM   #4
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackintheFold View Post

I would certainly write to the ebay seller, and to Magnetti, and follow up with both.

My first thoughts are that these were counterfeit items-as you say, Magnetti is a decent brand, and the photos look"cheap"
Agreed, almost certainly counterfeit. It would be to MM's advantage to know they are being "ripped off" by a counterfeiter so you might have some redress.
If they are genuine, you will have them for the goods not being of "merchantable quality". Your local Tradings Standards office might be able to help; that's if they are back at work!
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 10:09 AM   #5
Alan67
Grown up member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It crossed my mind for a second that they might be fake...but then I'm thinking "nah, chances are they're not".

I'll follow your advice. Will look into it tonight.

Cheers
Old 06-08-20, 10:30 AM   #6
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

A lot of modern rubber stuff is made from some sort of crap that lasts around 12 months. It could be that some poor quality boots got into the MM supply chain and were fitted to decent plug leads ? I have had lots of rubber stuff over the last few years that degraded its just seems a fact of modern manufacturing now unfortunatly.

Also you do know that plug lead boots are available as a seperate item as they are not moulded to the lead ? (having owned motor cycles for years I 'm used to making my own leads from individual components) Their real purpose is to keep dirt and water out of the coil top connection, the leads will still work fine without the boots fitted, although its best to use them just to keep the connection dry and free from corrosion.
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 12:28 PM   #7
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrodave View Post
A lot of modern rubber stuff is made from some sort of crap that lasts around 12 months. It could be that some poor quality boots got into the MM supply chain and were fitted to decent plug leads ? I have had lots of rubber stuff over the last few years that degraded its just seems a fact of modern manufacturing now unfortunatly.

Also you do know that plug lead boots are available as a seperate item as they are not moulded to the lead ?......
With the quality of the rubber, I'm wondering if there is perhaps some sort of bio-degradeable aspect associated with this? If the EU can impose straight bananas upon us, I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they have also reduced the longevity of our rubber products. I'm all for saving the planet, but being Scottish, I would like the price of said products to reflect their expected lifespan please

To be honest Dave, I didn't know you could buy separate rubber boots. I'd imagine they'd be a pain in the arse to fit though with the lead already being made up, but you might be able to suggest otherwise, as would YouTube I suppose.

Anyway, I've fished the leads out of the bottom of the bin! They'll do as a spare set I suppose
Old 18-08-20, 09:40 AM   #8
Alan67
Grown up member

Quick update on the leads.

That's 11 days now since requesting feedback from both Magneti Marelli and the ebay seller who sold me the leads. Apparently, nobody wants to know, because I've had no reply from either

The new ProSpark leads I fitted to replace the split MM ones fitted really well, with satisfying clicks at all connection points. Lead lengths were also a little better than the MM set which were a bit too long IMO.

So anyway, I've decided not to pursue this any further. It's not that important to me anymore, and I'll simply try to avoid their products now where possible. A member of our car club also mentioned he'd had a new Magneti Marelli CPS fail on him a couple of years back on his Rover too, so I've definitely got some bad vibes now, whether the leads were fake or not. Live and learn
Old 18-08-20, 12:00 PM   #9
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Alan,

I'm not au fait with such things, but are you or a significant other on Facebook etc?

If so, I hear people often use such platforms to air their views on something and it somehow virally gets to the attention of the bigger fish. Would you consider this?
It's the sort of thing you can just do and forget, seeing what comes of it..
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-20, 12:28 PM   #10
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Alan,

I'm not au fait with such things, but are you or a significant other on Facebook etc?

If so, I hear people often use such platforms to air their views on something and it somehow virally gets to the attention of the bigger fish. Would you consider this?
It's the sort of thing you can just do and forget, seeing what comes of it..
Hi, yes I'm on Facebook, but it's very much an idle app on my phone. A much younger friend thought it might be a good idea to get me on there, but she didn't realise how embarrassingly bad I am with techy stuff. Once Windows '95 faded into oblivion, I kind of lost my way a bit!

You'd understand that if you could see me trying to get a photo up on the forum. The wife thinks it's hilarious, but it's not a pretty sight I can tell you! Having a memory like a goldfish doesn't help either.

I think it's best for my sanity if I let this one go