Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » WR oil filters

Old 19-03-16, 08:40 AM   #11
inne3quattro
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

It would cost Audi peanuts to stock filters, for the car that launched there success, I can go to BMW and buy a front panel for a early M5 and its ready to collect in a few days, I can buy even earlier Porsche parts, again off the shelf. This goes for alot of classics, Audi have let there longest customers down time after time,is everything down to profit?, or not enough profit for them to bother. It's been getting worse over the years, from subframe bushes ( only 1 pair out of the 2 required, I believe these are re manufactured, I've had no experience with these,but if the past is anything to go by, they also might be shite) to sunroof seals that don't fit. It's s very sorry situation. Rant over !!
inne3quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 08:56 AM   #12
msh
4 ring whore!

No idea about bmw, mb or porsche - audi is part of the VAG, and so while audi used to have different engineers than volkswagen, the parts department is common, and the attitude is just like any other cheap volume manufacturer - what isn't requested, is discontinued, but usually 15-20 years after last car with that part rolled off the line - which is more than these cars were meant to endure actually.

I personally don't give a damn about the parts you mentioned - only western europeans are welthy enough to pay the premium of dealership for parts that are available elsewhere, the rest of the world looks for the OEM parts at basic car parts stores - I'm more worried that slowly model specific parts are being discontinued by manufacturers that make them - for example, B series quattros with single wishbone rear suspension are slowly going towards scarcity of rear shocks, due to them being discontinued - and also about body parts that wears out but which doesn't have aftermarket replacement.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 11:21 AM   #13
john bowden
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inne3quattro View Post
It would cost Audi peanuts to stock filters,
I presume you have some info behind that ?

The demand volume would be very low, and the cost / stocking / admin charges would mean a low return and very small margin.

I'm surprised they haven't gone before now.

I deal with this everyday, its just pure economics.

John
john bowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 04:44 PM   #14
inne3quattro
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bowden View Post
I presume you have some info behind that ?

The demand volume would be very low, and the cost / stocking / admin charges would mean a low return and very small margin.

I'm surprised they haven't gone before now.

I deal with this everyday, its just pure economics.

John
Only that the pair together are about £15 ish, minus 100% mark up from the dealers, minus the manufactures profit, takes us to about £4/5 for the pair, is a couple of quid not peanuts ?
Thanks for everyone's input....
inne3quattro is offline   Reply With Quote