Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Road tolls

Old 20-09-21, 08:13 AM   #1
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Road tolls

Hello again folks,

I read that the government is seriously thinking about introducing a pay as you drive system as they foresee a £40 billion financial shortfall from VED and fuel tax with the predicted increase of electric vehicles!!!

Each time such a scheme has been proposed it has been rejected by the public but this time the government is facing a financial loss if they do nothing, so it is believed they will try to introduce it.

A recent report by the Tony Blair Institute () has suggested the government acts now as the time as never been better and it will be difficult to tell drivers used to paying lower/zero VED than others that they must pay a higher rate...

I for one am not a fan of this as I don't trust the methods they would have to use to enforce it, such as fitting black boxes to each car etc. Who can trust technology to get things right and what safeguards will there be if it goes wrong and drivers are charged incorrectly via a technical error or fraud? Just look at the hassle if Dart Charge goes wrong...

Life is just getting too complicated...

There is a suggestion we would be charged according to mileage recorded when we have our MOTs. Fine, but there will need to be a simple way of ensuring DVLA is notified when a vehicle changes owners.

The government says they don't want anyone to be paying more than they would be under the current system, so let's hope they keep the per mile rate very cheap.

I for one have already emailed my MP to let my views be known as this measure is not being widely publicized and will probably be sneaked in after the next election. If you disagree with it I urge you to do the same.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 20-09-21 at 08:16 AM.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-21, 03:57 PM   #2
Davids
4 ring whore!

I have also read mumblings about this as well, but being heavily involved with the classic car scene a lot of the vehicles don't need MOT's or car tax, so I guess there may have to be some smart technology introduced to every vehicle to capture the data.

Although I did see a thread somewhere where some minister suggested that there would be a free amount of usage for low users, i.e. the classic lot etc, bit like the first few £1000s are tax free earnings, however as someone on that discussion said those users would be judged and treated like the cyclists, " don't pay road tax, etc" and then the fun started on that thread, I haven't been back, but something else to think about.

Don't the Aussies have road tax calculated into the fuel ?

Guess we all go back to electronic tax discs in the cars, either paid for or free.
Big Brother is watching and collecting data

Last edited by Davids; 22-09-21 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelllings wronged
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 06:38 AM   #3
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I personally don’t mind the principle that the people who do more miles, pay more road tax
Yep, I hear the concerns about how that’s implemented and monitored and would want to be reassured that any black box wasn’t going to be dual proposed, eg to monitor speed for example��
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-21, 07:26 AM   #4
vagdream
Grown up member

I realise the geography and physical area (which allows the provision of a more comprehensive and integrated public transport system) is very different, but the ERP system in Singapore seems to work very effectively
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote