Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » C3 Central locking & Wheel bearing

Old 16-06-21, 08:08 PM   #1
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default C3 Central locking & Wheel bearing

Folks,

They say things come in threes and I am beginning to believe them. I noticed a slow leak on my C3s front offside tyre, probably the beading is faulty. Pumped it up and went for a lovely spin in this gorgeous weather.

On a quiet stretch I heard a feint humming/grinding sound from the front nearside corner. The noise became noticeable and louder as the car exceeded 20 mph and faded away below 20 mph. I heard nothing while stationary, so me thinks that's a wheel bearing.

Upon my return I turned the key in the door handle to lock up and the central locking would not work!!! I also noticed the offside rear passenger door lock knob disappeared into the door.

I took off the door cards on both doors and on the rear there seems to be a white plastic relay lever that pivots between two rods. One rod goes to the knob and the other to the lock itself. Its spreader rivets had broken. What a flimsy idea. I will have to cobble together some sort of replacement.

The front door has one rod going from the door lock barrel to the door lock and second rod going to a sort of plastic bracket, the end of which moves up and down, pulling/pushing on a third rod rod which goes in and out of a central locking actuator (?) at the bottom of the door.. (not shown)

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+10.../8/837-123000/

The problem seems to be where 2nd and 3rd rods connect. It looks like there should be some movement but this doesn't pull the 3rd rod up...

Anyone had this problem? Has anyone had their pneumatic central locking replaced by an aftermarket electric central locking system?
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote