Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Coupe electric window mechanism overhaul

Old 22-07-21, 12:32 PM   #1
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Coupe electric window mechanism overhaul

Ok chaps , I'm wondering if anyone has in the past stripped down and "re-built" the electric motors and associated wiring , pulleys, springs , etc on the Coupe GT motor.

Having obtained one recently , but in non-op state, I opened it up and found the whole thing very stuck up although the motor is in excellent shape.

Having taken the whole thing apart ( my big mistake) and having succeeded once before, but after a considerable struggle, maybe the temperatures today in my garage are not helping but....

How do you tension the wire that attaches to the slide mechanism , once its all been wound around the motor drum. I just can't pull the fixing tight enough to tension the wire guide on the side of the motor . I seem to need about at least another pair of hands to align the components before trying to tension the whole thing.

Wondering if any of your ex Audi/VW chaps have done this in the past as as I've heard that ,back in the old days, there was a a kit supplied by Audi to replace the wires when they broke. It must be possible, but was there a special fitting tool ? ......I can well see why any workshop would far rather charge the customer for a whole new unit ( back when they were available ) rather than try to repair the broken unit.

Sorry if my description is not very clear , perhaps a few pictures might help ?
Flying Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 08:10 PM   #2
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

It’s been a looong time since I stripped the wires off a motor...but...I seem to remember powering up the motor to wind the cable tight one way (compressing the spring) then slipping it on the other end with the slack that is available and then doing the other end the other way.
Easier done than said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22-07-21, 08:16 PM   #3
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

From what I remember, and what I can tell, the first thing is those two sprung sections where the guides join the hub, one will be under compression when the window is closed, and the other when open. Part of the damping when the window meets full open or full closed. As far as I recall, there isn’t that much tension. The wire has a defined track. The motor load increases as the mechanism reaches full movement in one direction. The electrical side doesn’t have a limit switch, just load.

If that makes sense, and I haven’t mis-remembered something.
I’m back home on the other side of the world, for a few weeks, so I can’t even dig out any bits to photograph. Sorry.

Last edited by Hanuman; 22-07-21 at 08:18 PM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-21, 08:32 PM   #4
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Ok, many thanks for the ideas, I've been winding in one side and then the second side ....then finally trying too compress that spring which really needs two hands to get it all lined up and then pull like bu**ery to extend the remaining wire and its plastic guide back into the recess on the edge of the unit.

I had the feeling that it all needed that tension to avoid slippage of the wire off the central drum that it winds around ?

maybe it can function with less tension.......?

Cooler days ahead I think and will give it another shot then.

Appreciate those comments/ideas though, many thanks.
Old 22-07-21, 08:37 PM   #5
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Good luck!
I do think it is not difficult, but that there is a knack or a trick to it.
I wish I could be sure what it was!

Old 23-07-21, 07:38 AM   #6
Flying Frank
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Well if you remember the knack , please let me know.......

this is what I'm struggling with.
20210722_133609 by Frank Brejcha, on Flickr

and then having wound the wires around the drum , trying to compress the spring and s
"stretch" the wire to locate the plastic guide in its slot on the rim of the casing.
20210722_133558 by Frank Brejcha, on Flickr

Patience is a virtue but I'm obviously not virtuess enough.....
Old 23-07-21, 11:08 AM   #7
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Hmm. Yes. I think the trick is to wind the drum first, then hook one end on the casing through the plastic and spring, then use the motor to tighten it up on that spring which gives you enough slack to put the other end on.

With the drum poorly and loosely wound, you do not stand a chance.

HTH!