Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » B3 Coupe Coilovers

Old 28-02-14, 09:06 PM   #1
buzzin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default B3 Coupe Coilovers

Anyone got any experience of coilovers on their Coupe's?

I don't have H&R or KW money to spend (it'd be multiple what the car's worth!) so I've been looking about and all I can find is FK or TA Technix?

Had a cheap FK kit on one of my old cars, and they rode great so erring towards them right now.

Read somewhere on "the internet" that I'd have to buy the Cabrio kit rather than the 80/90, but would prefer some solid advice before spending if anyone's got anything to share?

Thanks in advance
buzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 09:52 PM   #2
buzzin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

So, I've been doing some digging...

I've found these kits:

http://www.carparts-tuning.co.uk/Sus...-86-10-91.html

http://www.carparts-tuning.co.uk/Sus...91-tuning.html

http://www.carparts-tuning.co.uk/Sus...-Yr-06-91.html

http://www.carparts-tuning.co.uk/Sus...91-tuning.html

Can anyone say which, if any will fit the Coupe?

From what I've been lead to believe, the Coupe previewed the B4's front suspension arrangement (and it certainly looks like it's laid out the same as my old B4 80) so does that mean that the B3 80/90 kits listed above won't fit? Can anyone tell me what changed at the front from B3 to B4? Are B3 Saloon and Coupe rear shocks interchangeable does anyone know?

Also, I know the B4's rear shocks are completely different to the B3's so I understand that the B4 kits are of no use to me in that respect.

In theory then, would buying both a B3 and a B4 80/90 kit leave me with the correct combination of parts to suit my car? Still considerably less than the cost of a set of H&R's or KW's!

With regards to the Cabrio kits, has anyone fitted Cabrio rear shocks to a Coupe? The rear axle looks the same, but the rear shocks are a different part number so can anyone say whether the Cab's rear shock towers and the way the shocks interface with them different to the Coupe? A photo would be ideal if anyone can help?

Any info, gratefully received, my head hurts!
Old 03-03-14, 07:43 AM   #3
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzin View Post
From what I've been lead to believe, the Coupe previewed the B4's front suspension arrangement (and it certainly looks like it's laid out the same as my old B4 80) so does that mean that the B3 80/90 kits listed above won't fit? Can anyone tell me what changed at the front from B3 to B4? Are B3 Saloon and Coupe rear shocks interchangeable does anyone know?
Yes, B4 uses coupe front suspension - but as for your coilover links, they aren't really correct - the ones pictured won't really fit to stock B3 1986-1988 suspension. B3 saloons got serious suspension upgrade for 1989. model year that also changed chassis code from Typ89 to Typ8A - struts were changed fron one piece to ones with separate bearing housings and front ARB was now connected to struts with links, instead to being attached to wishbones. Quattros also got similar changes in rear. The same suspension was fitted to Coupes - I guess this upgrade to saloons was because of that. Main difference between coupes and saloons remained in front wishbones - all coupes got asymmetrical wishbones with ball joints that are attached with three bolts, saloons still kept old wishbones with two bolt ball joints, apart from 20v that got forged wishbones as well, with identical geometry than coupe stamped wishbones. Change from B3 to B4 for saloons involved fitting those coupe wishbones and some short time after B4 introduction also fitting bigger brakes, and also both strut parts were joined with bigger bolts. There were also small things like geometry of those ball joints or diameter of front ARB, but that's nothing.

And for rear shocks, again, yes - coupe and Typ8A are the same rear suspension wise - only I see in ETKA that from 1991. model year onwards coupe received cabrio rear axle, but nothing else - when it's about original suspension parts, coupe got stock heavy duty suspension that was optional for saloons, that's why coupe rear springs are recommended for those that want stiffer springs for their B3 saloons - but that's not of your interest anyway.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 10:35 PM   #4
buzzin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks MSH, top info there!

So as my car is a '91 Coupe, it has the separate strut and hub, also it has the drop links to the ARB. As you state the differences between saloon and Coupe are limited to the wishbones and ball joints, I assume the hubs are identical, or at least the way the shock attaches to it?

Also, you state that the rear suspension assembly is the same between models. In this case, won't one of the B3 saloon kits above not fit my car after all?

The 2 bolts that attach the strut to the hub are M12, so the B4 front shocks won't fit (unless I change the hubs too?)

I notice the difference between the 2 FK kits FKAU24 & 25 is that FKU25 includes
"swaybar mount on axle", so I'm guessing this would be the kit to buy?

Still confused, but at least I know more now...

Thanks again
Old 04-03-14, 12:04 AM   #5
msh
4 ring whore!

Hubs are identical. B3 saloon rear shocks should fit. B4 shocks - just shocks - will fit - if together with strut upper part, it will also fit, but bolts holes for B4 parts will be for M14 bolts, but that should be nothing because even with compatible stock parts there is possible some movement between both parts when bolts aren't tightened. Which parts are the best for you must be decided by you, I don't know anything about aftermarket parts.
Old 04-03-14, 09:35 PM   #6
buzzin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks again MSH...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FK-Highspo...-/111264276822

Found this eBay listing which is one of the kits I shortlisted. There's a photo of the actual kit rather than the generic picture on FK's website.

Looks like it'll fit to me... I'll keep you posted!
Old 05-03-14, 12:52 PM   #7
msh
4 ring whore!

The fact that ARB links are included feels bad - it might mean that they are different length than originals and so nearly impossible to get new ones when they fail.
Old 05-03-14, 11:19 PM   #8
buzzin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

FK sell the ARB drop links separately also, they are indeed a shortened length.

"We can now offer these superb FK Automotive shortened drop links to suit vehicles fitted with front drop link suspension. On certain cars contact with the drive shaft and roll bar is common when lowering over 40mm. FK have designed these shortened drop links to help reduce contact between the drive shaft and front anti roll bar. The lower your car is dropped the more stress is put on the standard drop link, causing them to wear and knock. "
Old 06-03-14, 05:29 PM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!

That's the difference between original stuff and aftermarket - together with original lowered springs [20 mm, IIRC] came different ARB so that the same links could be used
Old 06-03-14, 06:16 PM   #10
b3coupe
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

You get what you pay for, I have kw1's on my coupe and they're fantastic!

1990 Coupe 20v (Nogsport conversion)
1998 2.5tdi T4 transporter
b3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote