Classic Audi Club Member

Default 1995 A6Q 2.8 12v
Seller Type : Private
Vehicle Make : Audi
Vehicle Model : A6Q
Price : £??
Additional Details : V5C (Logbook) ,Taxed ,MOT'd

Hi folks,

Just putting up an early post to see if there is any interest in my A6.

I am working in Ireland at the minute and have been using the car as our UK car and for running back and forth but customs in Ireland don't like this, in fact they don't like it at all.

So as long as it is in my name I can't be seen with this car after the middle of next month over here unless I import it or get it out of the country for good.

This is a massive blow to me to be honest as I really like the car and was enjoying running and improving it. Initially I will put it over to my old man's in Scotland as there might be a chance of going home but if this does not work out I will have to sell as I don't want it to sit.

So details. I bought the car around a year ago of Spink on here.

Mileage 203,000 (feels like a quarter of this).
Manual

Extras: Sunroof, Air con (charged and working), Headlight washers, Xenon lights (I think), Cream Leather (driver seat bolster not good), front sports seats, front electric seats, 4 heated seats (not working still need to investigate), cruise control (not working still need to investigate), fuel/trip and check computer, aux gauges, remote central locking (working). leather steering wheel, electric sunroof, outside temp gauge (back light not working).

Recent work: replacement front wings and bumper. 4 new handkook tyres, rear pads, new battery.
Working happening this week: Timing belt kit (genuine Audi obviously!), thermostat and water pump. Handbreak cables, rear control arms.

I bought the car with around 194,000 on it. Been very reliable, very tight and body in above average condition I would say with a few age expected dings. Next on my list was a rear bumper, then tail gate, but don't really detract from the car as it is.

I have had a little bit of bother with it running hot (you will see threads on here) but think the thermostat is not working, various warm and cold pipes around system so while in there I am replacing the belt kit as well. I already had the parts ordered so committed.

Other niggles I have sorted were the oil seal on the heat exchanger and the header tank and cap. The float sensor started leaking on the header tank. Car is on its second oil/filter service since owning it, also have done the other filters once as well.

The car will also have a fresh MOT next month.

Price, no idea. Really don't want to sell and if I do get work back home I will not be that is for sure, but unfortunately for 2 reasons that is not looking likely right now.

I will add more photos and detail as we go. Any questions just shout.

95 A6Q 2.8 12v
06 A4Q SLine 3.0 TDI
_____

88 90 2.0 (Pastures new)
96 UrS6 (Pastures new)
89 90Q 20v (Dead)
89 Coupe 2.2 (Pastures new)
99 A4 2.5 TDI (Pastures new)
95 80 TDI (Pastures new)

Last edited by wemyss; 21-02-16 at 09:08 PM.
wemyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-16, 09:29 PM   #2
wemyss
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Photos will be added to here:

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...p?albumid=1147

Before anyone asked why I am not going down the import route it would cost me €800 to import then around €1400 on road tax per a year after that. Current photos are before front wing and bumper work so looking a lot fresher now. I will get some more up to date photos up shortly.

95 A6Q 2.8 12v
06 A4Q SLine 3.0 TDI
_____

88 90 2.0 (Pastures new)
96 UrS6 (Pastures new)
89 90Q 20v (Dead)
95 80 TDI (Pastures new)

Last edited by wemyss; 23-01-16 at 09:33 PM.
Old 23-01-16, 09:50 PM   #3
neverweaken
Grown up member

Being from ireland I know the road tax on large engine cars is shocking. You should be able to import it for free if you can prove you owned it before you moved to ireland, I think you also need to commit to not selling it for 12 months after its imported though.
Probably still not worth the hassle when you look at the road tax!
neverweaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-16, 10:18 PM   #4
wemyss
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverweaken View Post
Being from ireland I know the road tax on large engine cars is shocking. You should be able to import it for free if you can prove you owned it before you moved to ireland, I think you also need to commit to not selling it for 12 months after its imported though.
Probably still not worth the hassle when you look at the road tax!
Yea it is unreal. You have to own for at least a year I think and is a bit of an ordeal. I imported my A4 (big mistake and long story) and have to provide bank statements, electricity bills, all insurance and tax records for the time I owned it and all sorts to prove I had the car in the UK and was not importing for some dishonest reason. You are right as well you have to keep a year then after that. I did not have to pay the import on my A4 but the annual road tax is eye watering now. I need the car at the time though and was too busy to change cars, again though big mistake.

95 A6Q 2.8 12v
06 A4Q SLine 3.0 TDI
_____

88 90 2.0 (Pastures new)
96 UrS6 (Pastures new)
89 90Q 20v (Dead)
95 80 TDI (Pastures new)
Old 21-02-16, 09:04 PM   #5
wemyss
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Just an update folks. Car has had handbrake cables done, timing belt with water pump and pulleys, thermostat, and rear control arms.

It is going for an MOT Tomorrow and will update. It is currently up in Inverness. Mileage is currently around 203500.

I am still having an issue with it running hot in traffic, still investigating, any help here welcome. Oil and water temp show ok but there is pressure building up in header tank, takes around 30 to 40 mins of siting to do this. Just drove 550 miles in one go and never missed a beat and never used a bit of oil or water, just siting confuses it.

Also looking for something else right now. Anyone got anything pre Feb 1986, this is one way around crazy tax laws in Ireland!!!!

95 A6Q 2.8 12v
06 A4Q SLine 3.0 TDI
_____

88 90 2.0 (Pastures new)
96 UrS6 (Pastures new)
89 90Q 20v (Dead)
95 80 TDI (Pastures new)

Last edited by wemyss; 21-02-16 at 09:10 PM.
Old 24-02-16, 08:56 AM   #6
RetroAuto
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

What about changing the Number?
RetroAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 12:08 PM   #7
jack1
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Might sound silly but I remember my old c2 had a prob boiling when in traffic and I got talking to a vw golf mechanic and when I explained he said to change the header tank cap as it was a common thing in the golfs and sure enough it cured the prob ,,might be worth a go
jack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 01:10 PM   #8
wemyss
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for this. Yep changed the cap but not 100% about it, I think they are maybe designed to let out pressure when they start getting hot. I have had it on long runs and in traffic of late and it is fine. Just passed the MOT as well, nothing major and you can now see online the history without any document numbers. It failed first time around on emissions only, new set of plugs in and it went through. This is a very good car and really miss it. Give me a shout if there is any interest.

95 A6Q 2.8 12v
06 A4Q SLine 3.0 TDI
_____

88 90 2.0 (Pastures new)
96 UrS6 (Pastures new)
89 90Q 20v (Dead)
95 80 TDI (Pastures new)
Old 03-03-16, 07:45 PM   #9
s2x2
Newbie!

Gotta love the Irish Road Tax rates older cars have to put up with.

Buy an early mk2 Golf or an Audi 80. Lot of grief when you own a good car already.
s2x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-16, 12:46 PM   #10
wemyss
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Indeed. Currently looking at modern classics in Ireland, does not seem that easy either though.

Still have the A6 but still have the heating issue in traffic I fear so thinking I might have a gasket going although just done another 1000 miles over the last month at home with no problems and only a slight use of water. I will start another thread on here to see how big a job that is. Certainly will not be selling if there is a head gasket gone until sorted.

95 A6Q 2.8 12v
06 A4Q SLine 3.0 TDI
_____

88 90 2.0 (Pastures new)
96 UrS6 (Pastures new)
89 90Q 20v (Dead)
95 80 TDI (Pastures new)