Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Oil & Cold Starts - Good Advice from Opie Oils

Old 18-11-10, 10:19 PM   #11
Tanni
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default ASDA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Use the correct grade and all will be fine. What oil are you currently using?

Cheers

Guy
Just the cheap, but correct from, the supermarket. Will I be able to feel the difference the first 5 minutes in the morning if I change to something better?
Old 20-11-10, 10:48 AM   #12
msh
4 ring whore!

...at this time of the year it s beneficial to remember, that u are in the UK, where even winters are warm, so there's nothing to worry about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanni View Post
Just the cheap, but correct from, the supermarket. Will I be able to feel the difference the first 5 minutes in the morning if I change to something better?
And what kind of difference u want to feel? Different oil won't accelerate warm up time. Latvians in latvia usually for old audi's NA engines are using 10w40 - because below -10c in winter it could be problematic to start the engine. Ok, I used to run my 1.8 with 15w40 mineral oil - but that was partially reason why I had to change battery less than month after I got that car - because in nice morning with temp around -15c old battery wasn't able to crank the engine
P.S. If the engine oil isn't lubricating yourself, u won't feel any difference in any case...
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-10, 11:20 AM   #13
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Payne View Post
And I strongly recommend NOT doing so in any ur-quattro engine.

Who are these dorks?
I suspect 'these dorks' are people who have put up a certain amount of technical information on which to base their standpoint, without the immediate need to label everyone who doesn't agree with thee, as a dork.

I'm no expert in these matters, so, like many, I'll go with the information as presented to me.
The person whose first response to anything is basically derogatory hasn't really won the argument, in my view.

Guy/Opie has presented some information, and made welcome the chance to discuss.

Phil Payne, high and mighty, self proclaimed solitary expert of anything quattro, and bilingual verbal gymnast has, in time honoured fashion, uttered as riposte the equivalent of a raspberry.

There's a good few people around who would benefit from a far better constructed discussion on the subject, rather than just reading your responses labelling someone as a dork because they don't necessarily share your viewpoint.

And I know that your utterance has little to do with being an amiable jokey response, as it has already been established this week that you do not actually possess a sense of humour.
Old 09-08-11, 12:23 PM   #14
oilman
Grown up member

Any advice needed ?

Ask us here, will be happy to help :-)

Cheers

Oilman
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 01:02 PM   #15
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Is Quantum Platinum 5W40 suitable for a 195,000 mile VW T4 with the 2.5 TDI engine?

And would it be suitable for a 185,000 mile Audi 80 1.9 TDI?
Old 09-08-11, 01:52 PM   #16
oilman
Grown up member

It should be fine
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote