Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » David Attenborough - Climate Change the facts

Old 19-04-19, 08:55 PM   #11
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Yep agree with all of that Vorsprung

Too many people see it as somebody else’s problem, others look at the scale of it and go, to a degree understandably, “how can I affect that?”

However if millions make small changes that adds up, a lot of the advice they were giving isn’t difficult to implement.

Drive less, easy enough for me as it’s only 7 miles to work and I cycle, I walk or cycle to the shops where I would have driven. I’d have a Tesla tomorrow however and this guy provides food for thought

https://youtu.be/NuAMczraBIM

Eat what you buy, it fecked me off how much fresh food we bought that ended in the bin (My wife shops with her eyes and buys food with not a bloody clue as to what she’s going to do with it) I’ve addressed that by just a bit of planning. We do veggie night at least once a week, I buy local and in season where at all possible.

I reduced the power consumption of my PC by half by going from 2 290x graphics card to a Vega (I had a room that you never, ever, needed to heat when the PC was on)

I bought a Nest controller for the heating, if nobody is in the house the heating doesn’t come on.

Anything off of the cars gets recycled or sold

It’s simple enough stuff and it isn’t bearded weirdy guff.

Burying your head in the sand just isn’t an option if even a fraction of last night is true.
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 08:57 PM   #12
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
We’ve just PX a Diesel Land Rover for an Audi S3...

We are surfing the love as eco warriors now...

Seriously though, there really is nothing new under the sun, the future is shown in the past.
With all due respect WTF’s that meant to mean?

There’s plenty new under the sun, it’s CO2 on the whole.
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 09:23 PM   #13
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
With all due respect WTF’s that meant to mean?

There’s plenty new under the sun, it’s CO2 on the whole.
That was meant philosophically not literally....

Apologies.
Old 19-04-19, 09:37 PM   #14
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Just watched this on iPlayer. The program was spot on, the whole "conspiracy" to do with climate change has been around big business like oil etc holding on to their gravy train, casting doubt on the science etc. Trump thinks its a load of tosh, why is that I wonder?

The ideas that we should recycle, fix rather than replace, use what we need and live frugally are common sense if you ask me. Certainly for as long as i can remember (since us getting a can-bank at infant school in the early 80s!) the greenhouse effect /global warming/ climate change has been "a thing", it still astonishes me that we as a species Still seem to still be waiting to see what will happen next before doing anything about it.
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 11:54 PM   #15
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

From what I've read it will be another 50 years at least before we will get an idea whether the current science is correct. Even if it is, there is geological evidence to show the earth has had previous periods of warming, cooling, increased CO2 levels etc, when there was no human activity to blame it on.

Many reports showing warming due to increasing CO2 levels still use the word 'probably'. There always seems to be some controversy over how measurements are taken, yet we rarely hear the doubting voices, which I find suspicious. Some reports claiming to show the Arctic sea temperatures had risen had to be revised when the report's authors admitted their sensors were so sensitive that the results were probably affected by their proximity to their ship's engines. I wish I'd made a note of the article.

My suspicions were raised by the reactions to those who express dissenting views within the scientific community as though they were heretics or the like rather than colleagues. If fellow scientists can caste doubt on the same data, then everyone should be asking how they can eliminate doubt rather than condemn those asking questions.

David Attenborough is the current darling of BBC science, but does anyone remember the once popular David Bellamy? He suddenly disappeared from our screens and newspapers. He allegedly expressed doubts about his previous views in favour of global warming and was not forgiven by the powers that be, despite changing his mind again.

Global Warming is such big business now. There are government departments, think tanks, consultants galore and energy related companies tapping into vast sums of money. Any doubts as to their raison d'etre are as welcome as a fox in a chicken coup. The current smart meter campaign is costing billions, to be passed on to the consumer. Everyone I know who has them says they (if they work)have made no difference to their fuel consumption as they already use only what they need. Someone is making a lot of money out of trying to show a minority of people that they aren't switching off enough gadgets. If you don't want one, you are excluded from cheaper energy. The Blair government knew diesels emitted dangerous particulates, if they cared to look, but the pressure to meet CO2 targets was too great.

When the whole Global Warming debate really 'hot' up about 15 years ago,I read that the UK produced only 2% of the world's CO2 emissions. Since then I read that our C02 emissions have been cut drastically. So folks, we are probably nearer 1% of global emissions now, yet expensive environmental measures/taxes continue to be put on us.
All those children taking a day off school to save the planet should take some more time off and go and protest where the emissions really are made, ie China and the other developing countries. I'm sure their concerns would be 'warmly' welcomed.

Until they offer totally irrefutable evidence, global warming advocates shouldn't dismiss climate doubters and reporting in the media should be more balanced.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 07:08 AM   #16
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

David Bellamy "changed his mind" because of mis-information, a spurious study on glaciers based on figures that had never been scientifically collected. The study has since been exposed as such. Is it ok for false information to be broadcast in the mainstream? Look at the damage done to child vaccinations by a spurious link to autism.

The thing is, there are always alternative views if you look for them, especially these days. But the mainstream isn't always for sheeple who don't do their own critical thinking. Sometimes the evidence really is there staring us in the face and if we wait another 50 years and Attenboroughs programme was bang on, its far too late then to do anything about it.

Sorry but I just don't buy the argument that Climate change was created by business to sell energy saving light bulbs, wind turbines and solar panels.
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 01:18 PM   #17
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

There is no doubt global warming is a fact, but..... is it caused by human activity that can be reversed? I doubt it very much. There is a great deal of hypocrisy around this topic especially when you get self-aggrandising idiots like Emma Thompson flying business class acrss the Atlantic to "show solidarity" to those pollution causing w*****s who blocked up central London last week.

And was human activity the cause of the Ice Age receding from the UK millennia ago? No doubt that it was not! So what did cause it and could that be the cause of our current global warming? Nobody knows, least of all Sir David Attenborough!!!!!
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 05:12 PM   #18
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Whats to say. Believe what you want to, its your delusion not mine.

4v6-20.04.19 for the future- Nothing to worry about, I told you so.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-19, 05:40 PM   #19
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Whats to say. Believe what you want to, its your delusion not mine.

4v6-20.04.19 for the future- Nothing to worry about, I told you so.
John-20/4/19 If you were talking engines I'd believe what you say...…...anything else is just your opinion/bollocks.

John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-19, 11:01 AM   #20
audi80fan
Classic Audi Club Member

I have no doubt that mankind are spoiling the planet on a global scale. The only reason we have got away with it for as long as we have already is due to the Earths incredible regenerative power (with incidentally is also in jeopardy due to the alarming rate of deforestation). Due to greed on an industrial scale, the environment has always been a secondary consideration to money - and still is.

The plastic pollution in the Seas has been going on for years and only now are people talking about it - nobody knew that was going to be a problem?! Of course they did, but it was all about the bottom line. Even now I am shocked at how much of the groceries are wrapped in plastic. The responsibility is always passed to the consumer. WRONG. It is the producer at fault. They need to change their manufacturing process - but because they are in competition with the next company as to how cheaply they can mass produce an item for the supermarket shelf (which is always being squeezed by the supermarket) they continue to use cheap plastics. Not only that, some are even introducing plastic where previously they were using glass (Sainsbury’s), or simply feel it needs better branding so introduce an extra layer of thick plastic (Muller).
audi80fan is offline   Reply With Quote