Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » lumpy tickover

Old 02-12-15, 12:22 PM   #1
gordonmorrison
Newbie!

Default lumpy tickover

hi im new to you guys ,as my Audi 80 cab is always parked in France and does nt get much use. It starts on the button but after a while the revs jump up and down sometimes to almost stall and then back up to 2000 or so. Ive fitted new rotor,cap,and the themostat kicks in at about 85 to 90 but the car seems to run cool according to the temp gauge,aroung 60 to 65. The plugs are also new.I think it may be a sensor gunged up or stuck somewhere as it sits for months at a time. Any feed back appreciated. Cheers G
gordonmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 05:29 PM   #2
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Sounds like the idle control valve is sticky, if you remove it, spray some lube in there and give it a good shake. Which engine is it?.
Old 02-12-15, 07:18 PM   #3
gordonmorrison
Newbie!

Sounds like something like that. Where is it exactly , its the 2.0ltr.ABK code.
Much appreciated, Gordon.
Old 02-12-15, 07:52 PM   #4
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

It's easy to get to on the ABK, Item no1: http://www.partsbase.org/audi/audi-c...-aud-048133455
Old 02-12-15, 09:37 PM   #5
gordonmorrison
Newbie!

Well thats brilliant thanks ever so much. I think I will just buy a new part . Cheers G
Old 02-12-15, 10:19 PM   #6
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

At least try cleaning it first to see if it is the cause of the problem, it only takes 5 mins.
Old 02-12-15, 10:25 PM   #7
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
At least try cleaning it first to see if it is the cause of the problem, it only takes 5 mins.

I think that is what i would do too
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-15, 11:06 PM   #8
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Gordon,
Now before I start, I am not pulling you leg, Got this information from a U.S. forum, I to have a 1995 Cab 2.6 V6 ABC engine and one day the car started fine but after a few miles at 30mph, in town speed, it started to run rough and I dipped the clutch and the rev counter was jumping from 1000-1400-1000-1400-1000-1400 and this was constant, I couldn't do that with my foot it was doing it so fast, now this is the bit where you going to give this post a funny look, REMOVE ALL THE FUSES IN THE FUSE BOX ONE BY ONE AND PUT THEM BACK IN THE SAME LOCATION IN THE FUSE BOX THAT YOU REMOVED THEM FROM, IF YOU FIND ONE THAT IS A LITTLE DIFFICULT TO GET OUT USE A PAIR OF LONG NOSED PLIERS TO REMOVE IT (you may need to clean the corrosion off the fingers with 400 wet and dry) From what I gather the fuse in my fuse box that was stuck was for the 12v+ to the idle stabilization valve, well this worked for me and I was stunned it was such a simple thing and from the forum on the U.S. site they said this only happens to Cab's, good luck.
KEEP IT BETWEEN THE DITCHES. D.I.L.Y.S.I.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 07:13 AM   #9
gordonmorrison
Newbie!

Why would you pull my leg. This is what happens to mine as well. I will certainly try this as its possible ,the car sits in a garage for months at an end ,and it does nt do it in the summer. This could also affect the idle valve as it gets hot in France so the valve would expand a fraction,as would the fuses.I must admit this is a new one on me but I will remove all the fuses and WD40 them.Cheers Gordon
Old 03-12-15, 07:32 AM   #10
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

The pulling your leg comment was added to my first post because that is what I thought when reading the post on the U.S. forum, anyway it was a cheap 10 minuet fix for me hope you have the same luck.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote