Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Dash warning lights

Old 04-01-22, 09:55 PM   #1
sjp001
Grown up member

Default Dash warning lights

Hey everyone, I have an 80 tdi b4 avant and was driving home yesterday with all as normal... Stopped at a shop and when I re-started the car the battery lamp came on, along with the low brake fluid light and the low coolant light. Checked the belts and fluids and all fine so assumed the alternator was broken. This morning I started it up to run to the garage and no lights at all. The garage checked it and all charging as normal. Get back in this afternoon and the same lamps back again (but after closing time so couldn't run it back to the garage).

I did once have a car where the alternator was intermittent before it completely gave up, but the garage told me this was rare so wonder if it might be an electrical problem.

Just wondered if anyone else has anyone encountered this problem before I start delving into it?

Thanks all!
sjp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 11:01 PM   #2
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Definitely had this occur on the b3 chassis cars in the past and yes its usually due to a voltage issue so battery/alternator or connection issue.
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 04:30 AM   #3
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

My first port of call would be to replace the voltage regulator / brush box on the back of the alternator normally fix in place with two screws, depending on access you may be able to refit in place, normally cost £15-£20 but you need to get the correct one for your alternator.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 09:25 AM   #4
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

That looks like the ignition switch is failing.
Old 06-01-22, 10:53 PM   #5
sjp001
Grown up member

Dave as per always you are spot on the money. It just threw the lights up again so I ran it to the garage and it wasn't charging this time.

Colin you were bang on too and thanks a lot for sharing your wisdom on a simpler and cheaper solution.

Ben thanks a lot for this too. When I did my research I saw some people found it was the ignition switch so I was thinking I'd look into this if the car was still charging with the lights on.

As always thanks for the brilliant help fellas, hope to have it sorted tomorrow!
sjp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 02:57 PM   #6
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp001 View Post
Dave as per always you are spot on the money. It just threw the lights up again so I ran it to the garage and it wasn't charging this time.

Colin you were bang on too and thanks a lot for sharing your wisdom on a simpler and cheaper solution.

Ben thanks a lot for this too. When I did my research I saw some people found it was the ignition switch so I was thinking I'd look into this if the car was still charging with the lights on.

As always thanks for the brilliant help fellas, hope to have it sorted tomorrow!

Has the exciter wire been checked?
I had similar problems when the wire had become disconnected. Alternator worked fine if I have it 12v to start it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk