Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » S2 intercooler on standard b4 coupe

Old 12-07-18, 08:43 PM   #1
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default S2 intercooler on standard b4 coupe

Hey guys,

So I've started retro fitting parts to my b4 coupe for the 4 pot BAM 20vt conversion. I've got an s2 intercooler and cross member which I want to fit, I removed the existing cross member and bolted up the s2 one. It looks like there is a another part missing because I have gaps behind the cross member where the lower bolts go. Another dilemma is the radiator is too large because the s2 used 2 smaller ones. Any ideas on a replacement without going slimline electric? I want to keep it oem as possible to avoid extra modification later on with pipework etc. At present it's using a toyosport intercooler that pokes out of the lower bumper which I hate!

Thanks in advance
Peacedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-18, 07:58 AM   #2
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

So I managed to fit the intercooler cross member and intercooler correctly and all looks good. The radiator is the one that is defeating me at present. The existing radiator is 755mm wide and I need something in the region of 600mm. The B4 has 4 connections, top and bottom rad hose and 2 smaller ones for the coolant reservoir. Any ideas? I've scoured the tinterweb and have come up with nowt!
Old 16-07-18, 10:32 AM   #3
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

We need some pictures as I can't visualise what the problems are.

I made a crossmember to mount the intercooler and standard 8v radiator on my conversion, also using solid engine mounts meant I could delete the snub mount and fit a toyosport intercooler higher up to clear the bumper. The S2 intercooler setup puts the inlet and outlet on the left side so you need to find space for the pipework to go across to the right side.

Old 16-07-18, 11:57 AM   #4
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'm struggling with the pictures uploading because I use my phone and no laptop. I understand pics paint a thousand words. I must get more tech savvy!

Yeah this is a bigger problem than I'd imagined. I was hoping I could get round the intercooler pipework ok with them both being on the left side. Me being me I thought it would be easy to find a thinner rad and fan setup, so I went ahead and bought the intercooler and cross member. I can get a custom radiator but your talking £££. I can modify the brackets on the Toyosport intercooler so it brings it closer inwards and then I wont have to hack the bumper like the previous owner did to make it fit. Oh well I tried. S2 cross member and intercooler for sale if anyone interested
Old 16-07-18, 01:49 PM   #5
JMLAudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Smile

Why don’t you do a setup like the five cylinder vehicle?
With the radiator on the left of car
Need to make a bracket to support under the radiator?
Would have a lot more clearances
JMLAudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-18, 01:53 PM   #6
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLAudi View Post
Why don’t you do a setup like the five cylinder vehicle?
With the radiator on the left of car
Need to make a bracket to support under the radiator?
Would have a lot more clearances
But the S2 uses 2? Just The auxiliary alone wouldn't provide enough cooling would it? The S2 cooling system is apparently a nightmare configuration so would the aux rad have the same 4 connections as B4?
Old 16-07-18, 11:14 PM   #7
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedub View Post
But the S2 uses 2? Just The auxiliary alone wouldn't provide enough cooling would it? The S2 cooling system is apparently a nightmare configuration so would the aux rad have the same 4 connections as B4?
S2 aux radiator is not actually needed for normal use, I ran mine blocked off with 285BHP never had any problems with over heating. The extra rad was originally specced on the 5 cyl 90 and coupe's for cars with a tow bar fitted. Most folks just block them off when they fail and just run with the big side mounted rad.
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-18, 06:21 PM   #8
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
We need some pictures as I can't visualise what the problems are.

I made a crossmember to mount the intercooler and standard 8v radiator on my conversion, also using solid engine mounts meant I could delete the snub mount and fit a toyosport intercooler higher up to clear the bumper. The S2 intercooler setup puts the inlet and outlet on the left side so you need to find space for the pipework to go across to the right side.

I like this very much!!

Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote