Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Does anybody know this car? 20vt 80

Old 02-12-17, 10:26 AM   #1
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Does anybody know this car? 20vt 80

So I've been in talks with the seller for a week now and I'm umming and ahhrring whether I should make the purchase. My plan is to use the engine and running gear for my 16v coupe. The seller doesn't know much about the car, he just drives it. The conversion was done by "someone" in St. Austell. I was going to swap my 16v into this and vice versa but he wont budge much on price. The bodywork is a little rough so not much resale value on the green one with the 16v in. It has a few issues with engine related ancillaries so to me its still a running project. Just need some more info or if anyone knows the actual car or opinions.

Thanks

Steve

https://www.gumtree.com/p/audi/audi-...ine/1276593818
Peacedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 12:04 PM   #2
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Would like to see the engine bay, the BAM engine is from a TT, would like to know what modifications had to be done to get a transverse engine to function, if you buy it get some pics please
Old 02-12-17, 01:56 PM   #3
buzzin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Think it may have been built by these guys:

http://www.rk-engineering.co.uk/

Saw it advertised previously and came to that assumption as I have family in st Agnes and they sorted my partner's Lupo out when she broke down on her way to Cornwall once.

They're a good set of guys who know what they're doing. If they did do the conversion I'd be surprised if it's not done right.

Give them a call and ask if they know the car perhaps?
buzzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 02:09 PM   #4
Andy10v
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacedub View Post
I was going to swap my 16v into this and vice versa but he wont budge much on price. The bodywork is a little rough so not much resale value on the green one with the 16v in.
Have you looked at getting a complete donor A4? You can get a B5 A4 1.8t for £500 ish

Sold-1992 3B S2 coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, forged rods, rear torsen....
Sold-1993 ABY coupe
Andy10v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 02:14 PM   #5
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I've got plenty of pics from the seller. It's definitely a BAM but running AUM inlet manifold so to get the hoses in the right area for intercooler. I have videos of it running too. I'm pretty clued up with these engines from mk1/mk2 golf's etc but just don't see them in audi's due to longitudinal engines so these require the ADR engine mounts and subframe. Due to the seller not knowing much about it then I need more info before I take the plunge. It's so far away from me I can't just pop round. I'll give them guys a bell but I think it's a man in a shed install. It's a rough car aesthetically and has a chequered MOT history but it's the engine and running gear that's my main interest but if the install is a bodge job I want to stay away.
Old 02-12-17, 02:17 PM   #6
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy10v View Post
Have you looked at getting a complete donor A4? You can get a B5 A4 1.8t for £500 ish
It would cost too much to finalise. Been down this route before with mk2 golf's and it ends up north of 5k. Ecu and ancillaries alone is 1.5k plus. This is more or less plug and play but 2.4k for an engine and running gear isn't cheap either!
Old 20-12-17, 07:34 PM   #7
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

So I bit the bullet and bought this! It took a lot of negotiating but managed to get it with freshly refurbished S2 wheels and a pair of Porsche 996 4 pot brembos. It's running an Omex 600 standalone ecu and it all looks pretty straight forward so looking forward to doing the swap. It pops and bangs like crazy! This will be going in my beautiful well cared for laser red b4 coupe. It's low mileage and has fsh and didn't really want take the engine out but I feel it needed that special touch. I'd put photos up but I've yet to figure that bit out! Can you upload from phone or does it have to be from computer?
Old 20-12-17, 08:23 PM   #8
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Sounds like you're happy with your purchase.......look forward to the pics. I'm still on photobucket so can't advise on pics?

John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-17, 08:38 PM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!

Well, unlike your coupe, this car has bigger potential, as it's rather easy to turn B4 saloon into a quattro...
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-17, 11:51 AM   #10
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Well, unlike your coupe, this car has bigger potential, as it's rather easy to turn B4 saloon into a quattro...
I was thinking down the exact same lines but the shell and interior are not brilliant, it would require a whole heap of cash to get the quality I would like plus the B4 saloon just doesn't do it for me. I have spied a B3 CQ local to me that is white and starting to go green (if you know what I mean) so I might give the guy a knock and see what his plans for it are.