Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » Very quick input shaft question!

Old 18-08-17, 08:45 AM   #1
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Very quick input shaft question!

Hello,

Checking compatability between two gearboxes, DJT and CAB, 99% sure they should be interchangeable.

7zap 'note' for input shaft on CAB is - z=10+19

note for DJT input shaft is - z=10+18

Part numbers for the two input shafts are the same, barring the letter at the end.

Any idea what that means?? I've found the final drive is the same, not bothered about ratios, just need to know if the input shaft length and splines are the same (where it joins to engine). Do you think that might refer to the teeth on the fixed cog on the shaft or what?

CAB is from a 12 valve, DJT is from a 30 valve.

Thanks!
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 05:05 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

z is usually number of teeth / splines.

10 may be the nominal diameter - not 100% sure on that
Old 18-08-17, 09:49 PM   #3
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks Mike, I'm going to phone audi tomorrow and get a parts man/lady on the phone, in the meantime will be searching for actual photos of clutch driven plates and counting splines! Quite looking forward to fixing this old tank now, it looks really good in the dark!

Last edited by missfire; 18-08-17 at 10:32 PM.
Old 29-08-17, 10:38 AM   #4
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Well phoned audi finally now, and guess what, absolutely no use whatsoever, no fcing clue what to tell me, parts boy has never been asked such a difficult question - What does z mean in etka? lol..

So position is, there's something different about the input shaft between the 12v and 30v but nobody can tell me what it is.

Possible solution/question 2 -

If the 18 and 19 refers to either input shaft splines or diameter can I just fit a 30v clutch driven plate or whole assembly to a 12v flywheel??????

I need to go to oxford to pick up a new engine for my 80 anyway, already bought it, so I may as well pick up the gearbox while I'm there.

Then if I can't fit a 30v clutch to a 12v flywheel I'll be looking at machine work from someone to get it to fit, lol, should never have bought the thing.

Last edited by missfire; 29-08-17 at 10:42 AM.
Old 29-08-17, 12:22 PM   #5
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Could you not swap the shaft over from your old box to the replacement ?
Old 29-08-17, 12:53 PM   #6
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Possible (unless the 18 and 19 refers to the ratio/teeth on the fixed gear on the shaft, lol) but I don't have any gearbox tools.

I think I just need faith that it'll fit and go get the bugger! Must be possible one way or another, as VDT says a lot of the drive train is virtually the same. But.. I've got two 1991 100s here and they both have different driveshaft splines, lol.

How about I fit the new engine to the 80 and have a big audi 100 bonfire! Might bring more satisfaction!
Old 29-08-17, 01:54 PM   #7
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
Possible (unless the 18 and 19 refers to the ratio/teeth on the fixed gear on the shaft, lol) but I don't have any gearbox tools.

I think I just need faith that it'll fit and go get the bugger! Must be possible one way or another, as VDT says a lot of the drive train is virtually the same. But.. I've got two 1991 100s here and they both have different driveshaft splines, lol.
I started researching what i could use from my 2.8 30v quattro onto the S6 3 years ago, on S2 Forum.The resident Audi Professor who'm is actually a professor over in Canada said not much at all. I have the thread and could at a fingertip produce it here but why bother as he was wrong on that particular question, which is unusual for him.Anyway, ss far as chassis components are concerned,front and rear subframes, rear legs, wishbones etc infact the whole rear end including the Diff is identical to the S6. Only difference is the rear callipers.

The front struts sadly are not compatible for the S6.

Do your 100's have very different power levels?
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 03:26 PM   #8
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi, yep, 115 and 136. I'm sure the box will fit one way or another, my 100q c4 is 175 and I take it the 30v is more powerful, 190-200? It'll bolt on no bother I think, looking at 7zap most of the 'notes' are for gear ratios, so that would make sense, 19 teeth on the fixed gear on mine, 18 teeth on yours, longer/higher ratio as it has more power maybe? Or is that backwards.. Lol. Who knows! Anyway will be in oxford one day soon to get that engine, it's a cracker by the sound of it, so may as well get the gearbox too, will PM regarding pickup. sorry for delay so far.

Will have to set off at about 4am, to get there lunchtime, so will be sleeping at oxford services in the van on the way home I think.