Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » Clutch replacement cost - URQ

Old 05-10-12, 07:22 AM   #21
Roger Galvin
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

The clutch should be a Sachs and nothing but, I've fitted LuK twice previously at client's requests they both slipped or juddered or both. Pete Reeve will have the correct WR one in stock, last time I bought one it was a couple hundred quidish. I claim the land speed record for removing a quattro box at 3 hours assuming nothing is seized broken, won't move etc. About a half hour to replace the clutch, and another 3.5- 4 hours to reassemble it all. So its about a days work, call it 8 hours @ £50 plus the VAT.

Frankly, if its not slipping, the burned smell will go away with a bit of time and gentle use so I'd save my money and suck it and see. Did I just say that and turn potential work away.
Roger Galvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 09:17 AM   #22
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Always a sign of an honest mechanic Roger, my prized mechanic in Plymouth turned me away for work three times whilst telling me where to get the parts cheaper before he got some direct work from me, and even then it was good work and decent prices!

I have no doubt you'll get some of my money sooner or later

You know more than most that these cars need total love and attention... and mines wanting for a lot at the moment! :P
Old 05-10-12, 01:50 PM   #23
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

i worked in my friends' garage many moons ago and we attempted to replace the clutch on my old lancia beta HPE. the haynes manual began "simply separate the geabox from the transverse engine and once separated, remove old clutch and install lancia clutch alignment tool part no LNC X31234 and simply align new clutch and bolt it all back together again (or words to that effect).

A WEEK LATER we had only just managed to do the above but finding that we only had around two inches gap to view, remove, align and replace said clutch we decided it was impossible to do it a la haynes and dropped the whole unit: engine, box, subframe and struts down in a one-er! the whole unit was so heavy that it blew the seals in the hydraulic tripod we were using and spewed hydraulic fluid all over the 4 of us!

anyhoo, once all done and dusted we were thoroughly fed up with said italian heaposheeto as you can imagine. imagine then our joy and subsequent hysteria at calling up a company called mr clutch who was boasting in the paper that they could "fit ANY clutch, same day"! we rang him up and after telling him what model car it was and prolonged silence while he "checked", the fella came back and said..

"Sorry Sir, we can't get a clutch for that car!!!"

Yeah RRRRRRRIGHT!!!

Roger, if doing a clutch in the quattro is anything like the lancia, i would say that your hourly rate is a BARGAIN!!

craig