Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » A6 quattro brake pads plus track rods

Old 30-01-11, 12:10 PM   #1
Scarlet
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default A6 quattro brake pads plus track rods

My A6 is due its mot next month, the brake pads worn light is on so they will need to be changed, are these easy enough to do? Im doing both front and rear have my brother and my dad to help me if i get stuck but the other thing with it is i suspect the track rod is bent because my ex hit black ice and cracked the wheel off the pavement and now the steering wheel is sitting at an angle , well i hope its just track rod or track rod ends! Can get it pressed back straight at the local argicultural place but is it going to be a nightmare to get off?

Im trying to do it all myself as really dont want huge garage bills, i know the local ones always ripp me off silly when i put a car in to them!

Going to need to buy a new trolley jack since the police liberated me of the handle for my trolley jack

Quattro Nation
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-11, 01:02 PM   #2
ian20v
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
My A6 is due its mot next month, the brake pads worn light is on so they will need to be changed, are these easy enough to do? Im doing both front and rear have my brother and my dad to help me if i get stuck but the other thing with it is i suspect the track rod is bent because my ex hit black ice and cracked the wheel off the pavement and now the steering wheel is sitting at an angle , well i hope its just track rod or track rod ends! Can get it pressed back straight at the local argicultural place but is it going to be a nightmare to get off?

Im trying to do it all myself as really dont want huge garage bills, i know the local ones always ripp me off silly when i put a car in to them!

Going to need to buy a new trolley jack since the police liberated me of the handle for my trolley jack
Brake pads are easy,if you've not done any before i;d consult the manual.
Track rods are better replaced if they[ve been damaged and car would be better up on stands to do this work.A garage could do all this in a few hrs.
ian20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-11, 01:58 PM   #3
Scarlet
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Have done brake pads before, nearly took my finger off when the clamp holding the calliper sliped, wont make that mistake again!
I was told the rear ones are a nightmare to do, but if they are just as straight forward as front one that will be fine.

Really dont want to put it into a garage, last time it took 3 weeks for them to get round to doing the pre mot!
I have ramps that i can stick the car on. think my brothers pal is going to look at the track rods for me trying to do this as cheap as possible cause with my situation just now cash is rather tight!

Quattro Nation
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote